Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you amplify 0.2V to 2.5V using op-amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastsheen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! How do you amplify 0.2V to 2.5V using op-amp? It will be much more appreciated if there was calculations involved. Thanks

How to use op-amp?

Use it as an amplifier with gain set to 12.5.

Calculation is very simple Vout = Gain * Vin.

Gain calculation will depend on which configuration you choose. Search for amplifier using op-amp on web and you will find plenty of options.

Re: How to use op-amp?

Calculation depends on the design or the IC chip you have chosen. The datasheet may provide the formula. For general op-amp, you can search in the web for amplifier op-amp. The formula are usually there. Try search inventing op-amp or non-inverting op-amp.

For a gain of 12.5 you must use a nin inverting configuration:

12.5 = 1+R2/R1
11.5 = R2/R1
R2 = 11R1

if R1 = 10kΩ then R2 = 110kΩ

Miguel,
somehow the ".5" disappeared from your calculations. Shouldn't that be 11.5? This would make the resistor R2=115k for R1=10k. Actually, one could use a potentiometer to better tune the output to the desired voltage.

Best regards,
v_c

Hi Friend,

Operational Amplifier is an IC.
It has two modes.
* Inverting mode
* Non Inverting mode
For the derivation of the calculations refer "Ramakant A Gayawad" "Op Amps and Linear Integrated Circuits" Prentice Hall of India Publications.

Regards,
Avinash.S.

Added after 3 minutes:

Hi dipal_z,

The formula that u've given is only for the Inverting mode. Please give me the formula for the Non inverting mode also.

Thanking you,

Regards,
Avinash.S.

How to use op-amp?

Hi,
There are two kinds of amplifier using op-amp_ DC and AC amplifier, here you need DC amplifier, this is different from AC amplifier. You should be careful when design a board.

Don´t be confused: In principle, there is no difference between dc and ac amplification using opams.
The only difference could be if you use single supply operation, because in this case a decoupling cap is to be used which blocks dc.

LvW

How to use op-amp?

Hi,
There are two kinds of amplifier using op-amp_ DC and AC amplifier, here you need DC amplifier, this is different from AC amplifier. You should be careful when design a board.

please check my result if it is right:

for inverting amplifier:
Vo = -Vi(Rf/Ri)
2.5 = -0.5(Rf/Ri)
5 = - (Rf/Ri) equation

for non-inverting amplifier:
Vo = Vin[1+(Rf/Ri)]
2.5 = 0.5[1+(Rf/Ri)]
5 = 1+(Rf/Ri)
4 = Rf/Ri equation

please evaluate the solution

regards
randell_xtian :D:D:D:D

Yes, of course it is OK.

Here are the equations to be applied in general:

1.) Inverter: Vin to be applied to Ri and the + opamp terminal grounded:
v=-Rf/Ri

2.) Non-Inverter: Vin to be applied to the + opamp terminal and Ri grounded:
v=+(1+Rf/Ri)

i think my solution is right becoz LvW op-amp formulas are also i used. [/quote]

As I have stated on May 22:
In principle, there is no difference between dc and ac amplification using opamps.
The only difference could be if you use single supply operation, because in this case a decoupling cap is to be used which blocks dc.

Status
Not open for further replies.