Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx MIG Traffic Generator problem (board level)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaul

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Xilinx MIG Traffic Generator problem

Hello,

I am trying to debug a problem for our MIG. Part nos is xc7a100t_1 + Vivado 2015.4.
(For an older ver of Vivado (probably 2014.x) with older versions of the IPs the design was working with the above FPGA part nos at the board level. Unfortunately the engineer who had worked on this is now not available. Then the Viv s/w was upgraded to 2015.4 and the Xilinx IPs were automatically upgraded).

Now we have same board, with the same FPGA and the same 4GB DDR3 memory chips. But Viv is now 2015.4. Using the exact configurations, no problem is seen at the simulation level. When the same example design (containing the MIG & Traffic_gen) is bit-streamed into the above FPGA on the board, memory Initialization and Calibration completes successfully. The problem is seen during compare data stage. Basically there is no valid data to compare with the read back data!

When I set the ILA trigger dbg_cmp_data_valid == 1, and then run, the trigger waits for ever. This is because this signal never becomes HIGH. I see the 64 bit dbg_cmp_data_r to be always 0s. One can also see that dbg_tg_compare_error is always LOW from the beginning.

However dbg_rddata_r always has valid data (indicating that data is being read back from the on board DDRs). Please see the attached screenshot.

I guess there is a problem in the traffic generator engine.
Has anyone worked with a similar problem? How can I go for debugging the the traffic gen?

Attachments

• ddr_ILA.jpg
    ddr_ILA.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 114

I find it's usually safer to regenerate a new IP with the same settings rather than upgrading. I've had problems with IP not working on the board after upgrading past multiple versions of the tool.

Thanks. Will re-generate the IP for the older part number using the 2015.4 version and then try out.

I find it's usually safer to regenerate a new IP with the same settings rather than upgrading. I've had problems with IP not working on the board after upgrading past multiple versions of the tool.

Sorry for hijacking, but could you please clarify what is the major difference between upgrading to newer version and regenerate with same settings on newer IP?. I find both will do the same, correct me if wrong.

Sorry for hijacking, but could you please clarify what is the major difference between upgrading to newer version and regenerate with same settings on newer IP?. I find both will do the same, correct me if wrong.

Usually it works, but Xilinx admits it's always safer to create a new IP in the current version of the tool (and no, I'm not going to search for that in their docs/support site).

As I don't work for Xilinx I can't say wh they recommend regenerating over upgrading, but I can make an educated guess.

Bugs and testing...
1. IP generation in new tool suite...comprhensive testing...few to no bugs
2. Upgrade IP from previous tool version...well tested...a few bugs
3. Upgrade across multiple versions of the tool...some testing...probably has bugs
4. Upgrade across multiple revisions of the IP...probably barely tested if at all...lots of lurking bugs.

IP with changes to parameters/generics have had the most problems with issues in my experience. Things like FIFOs and memories typically never have problems.

Thank you. Will keep that in mind next time when I do. I have been doing IP upgrade till date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back