Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

X Band Regulation (Maximum E.R.I.P or Maximum E.R.P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mansour_M

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I want to design a reflector antenna working at 10 GHz. How can I find the maximum E.I.R.P for this band?
I also need the regulations for radiation pattern?

If possible give me some reference for that.

Please help me.

Hi everyone,

I want to design a reflector antenna working at 10 GHz. How can I find the maximum E.I.R.P for this band?
I also need the regulations for radiation pattern?

If possible give me some reference for that.

Please help me.

For any antenna, EIRP is simply the product of antenna gain in a desired direction and the RF power at its input.

The radiation pattern is s feature of each particular antenna. To my knowledge there are no "regulations" for it.

The regulations valid for a particular frequency are the official rules for the mutual interference levels between or among two or more communication or other type systems sharing a particular frequency and band width.

In UK, contact the Regulatory Commission of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications.
Anywhere in civilized countries there are similar authorities that control the frequency spectrum so that the communication, radar and sensors sharing various frequency bands do not cause or suffer by interference.

Certain bands are offered for a "free" use and the authority is not responsible for problems caused by interference. Other bands are "licensed" - the users are charged for their license on using a frequency in that band. For such fee, the authority is responsible for interference problems.
For operating an equipment in a licensed band, authorities issue regulations on EIRP, antenna radiation pattern, etc., so they can be included in their database to indicate potential for causing interference.

In UK, contact the Regulatory Commission of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications.
Anywhere in civilized countries there are similar authorities that control the frequency spectrum so that the communication, radar and sensors sharing various frequency bands do not cause or suffer by interference.

More better known as OFCOM

it really depends who you ( is commercial use, home use etc) are what sort of licence you want etc etc

us amateur radio operators cam run 1000's of Watts EIRP, rarely done on that band tho, hi power amps are expensive

personally Im running 3 Watts into a 34 dBi gain dish. I will let you work out the EIRP for that ;)

Dave

Thanks jiripolivka & davenn,

So what I realized from your replies, is that, there is no regulation for amateur bands. I mean everyone can use it in any way that he likes. However if someone wants to use this band, he must accept the interference of other users.

So what I realized from your replies, is that, there is no regulation for amateur bands. I mean everyone can use it in any way that he likes.

The mamimum power (transmitter power, not EIRP) is regulated in many countries.
In the UK, you can find the value here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/br68r11/br68.htm
From what I can see, for 10GHz it is 400W max.

Also, safety regulations (E/H field strength) apply over here in Germany, and possibly in the UK as well. That effectively limits the permitted EIRP.

The mamimum power (transmitter power, not EIRP) is regulated in many countries.
In the UK, you can find the value here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/br68r11/br68.htm
From what I can see, for 10GHz it is 400W max.

Also, safety regulations (E/H field strength) apply over here in Germany, and possibly in the UK as well. That effectively limits the permitted EIRP.

Thanks volker_muehlhaus,

But I am not still sure that 400W is true for a sight-to-sight (directive) link.

Don't you think that I should consider health safety issues instead of OFCOM regulations?

What is your application? Is this for amateur radio use with a valid amateur radio license?

Well, to be crystal-clear, I am trying to design a Cassegrain reflector antenna @ 10 GHz. I need this antenna to transmit BPSK modulated data with 50 Mbps data rate. The link is 1 km.
This RF link is one part of a hybrid Optical/RF link. The RF link must be sight-to-sight to ensure the security of the link.

Then, of course, the amateur radio regulations do not apply.
Under what radio license do you want to operate this 10GHz terrestrial radio link? Sure that 10GHz may be used at all? Over here in Germany, digital point to point links can be licensed in the 13GHz (not 10GHz) band with max. 34 dBm output power.

Dear volker_muehlhaus ,

Thanks for replying. I made a mistake describing the system. Here in UK, 10.000 to 10.125 GHz is amateur band and I am using 10.00 to 10.02 GHz. Indeed my supervisor asked me to design a RF transmitter which can provide +0 dBm for the antenna.
I have no idea how he suggested +0 dBm and when I asked him, he said "It is a kind of convention!". Well, I need a valid document to refer, thus I am trying to find the required regulations for the system.

microwave point to point is fitful.
0dBm is OK, because your distance is only 1KM. You can do link budget.
38G is better for security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back