Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Winbond authentication flash compatible to "normal" SPI flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midiwidi

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a board with a SmartFusion2 FPGA which is also equipped with a Winbond W74M64 authentication SPI flash. I'm accessing the flash from a softcore CPU and want to keep the design simple and the bootloader code small. Therefore I don't want to use the security mechanisms the flash device offers. The datasheet almost exclusively talks about the authentication features. It doesn't talk about how to access the memory area.
Does somebody know

1) if the W74M64 can be used without any security features?
2) how the W74M64 memory area is accessed? Is it compatible with the W25Q64 and can be accessed as per its datasheet?

Did you notice paragraph 9 of the datasheet? It says: refer to W25Q64FV datasheet for SPI flash features.

No, my eyes must have slipped over this small sentence at the end of the datasheet. Thanks for pointing it out! They should put such an important point right into the general description section at the beginning.
That answers number 2) of my questions. What about point 1) ? Do you believe that the normal SPI flash functions can be used independently of the authentication features? In other words, is the W74M64 downwards compatible with the W25Q64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back