Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will the USB 3.0 cables get too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurz11

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
This is my first electronic question. The image I have attached should be self-explanatory for a better understanding of my project. However, I need to know do I have to add any additional cable?

I am going to utilize 3 lap top computers (A, B, & C) and connected computer A to B with a USB 3.0 cable. Then I will also connect computer B to C with a USB 3.0 cable. I am going to access data from computer A with computer B. Then I will access data from computer B with computer C. I am utilizing MS Excel on all lab top computers.

I will have all three lap top computers with the AC chargers plugged on.

QUESTION: If so, what cables should I use instead or what additional cables should I get?

SPECS:
Software: Microsoft Excel 2013
Hardware: 3 HP Pavilion lap top computer
System: Windows 10
Network: The computers are NOT network...off line only
**broken link removed**
Connected USB 2.jpg

Last edited:

The question has a hardware and software aspect. Hardware-wise USB is a host based interface that doesn't provide peer-to-peer connections. USB C interfaces are either designed as UFP or DFP (upstream or downstream facing ports). There's a DRP (dual role port) option in USB C, but I don't expect that it's provided by notebook computers.

Software-wise, it looks like a Windows OLE (object linking and embedding) problem. The respective inter process communication is provided over network interfaces. It could e.g. use an ad-hoc WiFi network.

Hi,

Why do you expect the cables become hot?
Hot because of DC power dissipation?
--> P = I^2 × R.
If it be ones hot, then either I is too high, or R is too high.
There is a USB specification that takes care about I and R. It tells what wire gauge one needs to use fir an USB cable to get low R.
And it tells how to protect against overcurrent...

Additionally, why do you expect current flow at all ... when all laptops are self powered. I assume none of the laptops will draw it's power from the USB...(while this theoretically may be possible with USB 3.0)

But I wonder:
* why are 3 laptops involved?
* why USB?
If you run Excel on all three laptops to process the data, then the bottleneck will be the I/O handling and parsing of the incoming data...
I assume here Excel doesn't provide good performance.

Why don't you use LAN, WLan, WiFi or bluetooth?

Klaus

Hi Klaus!
Thank you so much for your reply. Answers to your questions:

Someone told me that the if I connected the USB cables and the laptops are all plugged...that the USB cables will get too hot and that the ports will burn out. But you mentioned the laptops will not draw it's power from the USB so you already answer that question. Thank you!

The USB port will neither activate on the USB power nor the data lines when you connect two downstream facing ports.

Post #1 suggests that you are connecting computer USB A to USB A connector, which is no regular USB operation.

The following statement from this wiki page.
Capture.PNG
Pretty much sums up what others have said. You can't use USB to do what you are attempting.

USB is meant to have a single host (the computer) and it communicates with peripherals (e.g. mouse, USB drive, keyboard, printer, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.