Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wilkinson Divider for low frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindas9

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wilkinson divider design hf

Hi All,

I am designing a WIlkinson pwr divider for the frequency range of 30 MHZ-6 GHZ, on microstrip on Rogers 5880 Duroid. Problem is, for the frequency range of 1 GHz-6GHz, the design looks feasible, fitting well within a compact size, though multisections have to be used.

But for lower frequencies (30 MHZ), i simply cannot get the required isolation (20 dB) or proper Input return loss( 15 dB). Eeven more difficult is the size, since at low freq, the lengths of microstrip is simply unrealistic. And that becomes even more difficult, if i try multiple sections of quarter wavelengths.

I heard somewhere that, at lower frequencies we can design it by using ferrite rings which save size and give results. But i Googled any design techniques, and simply cannot find anything relevant.

If somebody has any idea on designing multiple-section Wilkinson using ferrite rings for lower frequencies, kindly help.

Thanks in advance!

Sibu

wilkinson divder

You can also use LC pi networks to simulate transmission lines. The problem is that the component tolerances are 10% for most parts.

compact wilkinson divider

Thanks Flautalent,

I thought the same. SO thinking of other avenues to design it.

wilkinson divider

I just had a memory. Many years ago I read a book about HF Single Side Band equipment. I think that one of the authors was from Collins Radio Co. It had several LC and transformer circuits for doing splitting and other transmission line functions. Perhaps some other board member can remember the title.

cindas9

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
lc wilkinson divider

Hey Fellows,

got the name of a book dealing with it.

Classis Works In Rf Engineering: Combiners, Couplers, Transformers, And Magnetic Materials

Author(s): Walker, John L. B.; Myer, Daniel P.; Raab, Frederick H.; Trask, Chris

Artech House

This might help.

Have to search for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back