Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Why -ve terminal of supply need to connect to ground????

Status
Not open for further replies.

manalog

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Take an example of simple calculator:
- Calculator needs only one battery to run. ( Battery with one "+ve" & one "-ve" terminal).
- Calculator's body is usually made up of an insulator.
Does it mean the calculator doesn't need ground connection???

BUT, when I am doing a simulation with one MOS, along with Voltage source I need GND also!!!
My voltage source is already having an +ve & -ve terminals then why I need to connect -ve terminal to GND????

PLZ HELP...

If you are in battery powered system like cellphone etc you "ground" connection is the battery - terminal.
In fact you can power whole system that you provide +20V and let say +17V from power supply to the - and + terminals of your pcb - it is all relative. You can also use -20V and -17V if you really want to play.
For simulation though it depends how the models and device macros were done. Usualy the global gnd! or gnd is used as a negative terminal. You MOS probably has bulk(body) connected to gnd in simulation model. - if you use 4 terminal MOS you should not have to connect gnd to -ve

- - - Updated - - -

If you are in battery powered system like cellphone etc you "ground" connection is the battery - terminal.
In fact you can power whole system that you provide +20V and let say +17V from power supply to the - and + terminals of your pcb - it is all relative. You can also use -20V and -17V if you really want to play.
For simulation though it depends how the models and device macros were done. Usualy the global gnd! or gnd is used as a negative terminal. You MOS probably has bulk(body) connected to gnd in simulation model. - if you use 4 terminal MOS you should not have to connect gnd to -ve

SPICE requires a node 0 to write the netlist, which is given by the (global) gnd. It is a convention, only a reference. All the voltages in the reality have sense only as "difference" from one node potential to another.

Thanks for your help "Teddy" & "Braski".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back