Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why my delta sigma modulator generates werid behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphire

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a second-order modulator with feedback structure. From the measurement, it outputs a long series of 1 or 0 once a while, then it returns to normal operation...
Since it's only second-order, so it's supposed not to have stability problem. But what would cause this strange behavior? Attached please find the output's spectrum

Thanks!

-Sapphire

Plot the integrator's values and check for saturation/overflow. That is generally the cause for these errors.

The stability of ∑Δ does not take integrator saturation in account. The methods used to calculate are purely mathematical and do not account for some of the practical implementation issues. So even a 2nd order ∑Δ can give you problems.

If possible post those signals and the output bitstream so we can check it out.

Thanks for your reply. I have a slightly different chip which is working fine. In that chip, the input and feedback paths have separate sampling circuits, but in this chip the two sampling circuits are combined. So, I am not quite sure whether it's related to the integrator's overflow problem. BTW, it's a switched-capacitor circuit.

In addition, I also grounded the input, but it still shows similar behavior in measurement. Does that make sense? I am guessing there might be something wrong with my testing or PCB.

-Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back