Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Incremental delta-sigma ADC dynamic range

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronics_rama

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am referring to a paper for the optimum filtering which can be used for the incremental delta-sigma ADC. I came across a below point and below is the diagram stating that for a given sigma-delta modulator loop, we can achieve higher and higher dynamic range by using higher and higher order filters. M is the OSR in the below diagram. Col1 is the first order filter. Col2 is the second order filter. By using Col2, the dynamic range is extended by 24dB. If this is true, why do we have to go for higher order delta sigma modulator? We can use a first-order modulator and higher-order filter to achieve a high-resolution ADC. Can anyone explain this?

1669482737771.png

Thanks

Your considerations are right if the application can use high OSR of 100 and more. But applications with higher data rate are often limited to OSR of 8 or 16. Higher order modulator is required to achieve acceptable SNR then.

Your considerations are right if the application can use high OSR of 100 and more. But applications with higher data rate are often limited to OSR of 8 or 16. Higher order modulator is required to achieve acceptable SNR then.
I did not get your point. What do you mean by data rate here?

Hi,

sampling_rate / OSR = data_rate

Please review delta sigma ADC operation theory.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back