Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why is ac prefered???

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm not fantastic, just clumsy. :wink:

Anyway I learned the hard way to always keep one hand in the pocket when measuring on live circuits - that way
the current path won't cross the chest.

The current was below the "let-go" threshold so my muscles didn't lock my grip to the conductor. I'm lucky to have dry skin...

Here is some info on electrical safety that everybody in our business should know:
**broken link removed**

/Ram

hat's off to you and your link's..............did you discover tht technique yourself or did you read it somewhere???, because i remember reading sum book's where the author tell's you to follow the same technique................one more question you seem to have a very different rating "SUPER MEMBER"..........................never seen anyone in EDA with dat ranking???

I learned the hand-in-pocket technique in school - after I got electrocuted...
My shocking lab experience was only a summer job at Ericsson calibrating instruments.

As for my rating - you have to survive an electric shock to become a super member. :wink:

/Ram

it is easier to generate & easier to transmit to long distances

Working with one hand and keeping the second in pocket is general safety rule for electricians. I was trained for this in my college.

but does this technique guarantee you from not gttin an electric shock??

No, you get a shock allright but the current path does not pass over the heart.
Which way it goes depends on what other part of your body is closing the circuit.

My electrical machines professor told me that (when young) he and his mates used to compete in
being able to tolerate current by driving it between the thumb and index finger.
A variable resistor set the current and a mA meter measured it.
The older generations were though guys... :wink:

/Ram

This safety rule just reduce the probability and severity of electrical shock. You need to obey all safety rules as well.

By the way, I worked with one man who checked 220 V AC line by two adjacent fingers (pointing and middle) of one hand. This is not safe and very rare ability. He probably had very thick skin and high body impedance as well as some medical problems. But he was able to do it easily and without any visible effects.

are you serious that's sum talent,he must be really cocky about high voltage's, but how did he come to know tht there is 220vc a.c flowing through tht line???

Just because 220 V was a standard for research labs. There simply cannot be higher voltage and lower voltage receptacles had totally different design. The problem was that very often voltage drops dramatically (sometimes to 150 V) and measurements could easily be corrupted. There were no dataloggers or line monitors for those times, so he just checked the voltage by the easiest possible way for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back