Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power conversion AC-DC

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Below is a AC-DC conversion circuit. 3-phase input is there. Where one of the phase is taken and given to 2 AC-DC modules. enter image description here

1 single AC Input between phase and netural: 220V AC RMS.

12VDC Load current: 0.9A (DC)

AC-DC Module datasheet Fuse datahsheet MOV datasheet

Can someone help to review the power connections shown in the image. Whether all parts are rated correctly or I need to select a different rated part?

The output load current on 12VDC rail is 0.9A (DC)

Since, the AC-DC power module datasheet specifies the input current max of 400mA (in page 1), I have select 0.5A fuse. Is it OK?

It would be helpful if someone can tell on the input current calculation of the AC-DC module so that I can select the fuse correctly if its wrong.

1. Is it appropriate to have the fuse before the MOV or should MOV be present before the fuse? Which is correct?
  2. Whether the MOV/Capacitors are rated correctly with both the modules?

The 3V3 is powering an energy metering IC, where the 3 phases are fed. Hence, the 3v3 is referenced with a different ground that the ground with the 5VDC (digital ground). The capacitor datasheet : digikey.com/en/products/detail/…. The device is planned for Europe area. I think it must be UL standard

Last edited:
There's a 2A SB fuse specification in the datasheet - for reasons. Problem is, they specify an inrush current but no I²t value, thus you need to make own measurements if you want to specify the fuse differently.

I once had a 3 W AC/DC module with similar inrush current level, specified with 3.15 SB input fuse. I found by I2t measureents that 0.16 A was already safe and chosed 0.5 A finally.

Fuse position is correct, C26/76 should be X capacitor type, if 310 V means rated AC, it's o.k.

There's a 2A SB fuse specification in the datasheet - for reasons. Problem is, they specify an inrush current but no I²t value, thus you need to make own measurements if you want to specify the fuse differently.

I once had a 3 W AC/DC module with similar inrush current level, specified with 3.15 SB input fuse. I found by I2t measureents that 0.16 A was already safe and chosed 0.5 A finally.

Fuse position is correct, C26/76 should be X capacitor type, if 310 V means rated AC, it's o.k.

Thank you for the review @FvM.
https://www.digikey.in/en/products/...G7-MsojxdxJDvTxnRuLl79A4Xo1mehyxoC8R0QAvD_BwE - This is the C26/76 capacitor. Is this fine? I noticed the Rating is X2 for the cap.

Any other changes is required in the AC-DC Module? Regarding the components/grounding?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back