Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why dont people use Minimum Cross sect area for B(sat) calculation in ferrite core

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Most ferrite cores have a minimum and maximum area. Do you agree, the B(sat) calculation should always be done using the minimum area?
Eg, i(sat) = B(sat).A.N/L

where A = Minimum core area

The min area does not apply to the CP ( centre pole ) but rather other parts of the structure - typically the fan out from the CP - this is why it is often ignored in flux calcs - it is a small part of the core and the extra heat that may be generated there is simply ignored by most ...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you'd use magnetic material with sharp B/H characteristic near saturation, the answer would be different. But ferrite isn't of this kind.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think what FvM is trying to say is that square loop B-H loop material is shaped so that there is no squeezing of the area , e.g. toroid ...

I'm having a hard time thinking of a realistic core shape where using Amin instead of Aeff would make sense. You'd just be handicapping yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.