Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Current Transformer's secondary is short circuited ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When operating, the secondary is not exactly shorted directly. A resistor is connected across the secondary. The resistor is used as a "current to voltage converter."

Let's say you have 10A current through the primary turn. So, current through secondary is 10/1000 A = 0.01A. By placing the resistor there, the current is "converted to voltage". V=IR. So, voltage across resistor (and thus across secondary) is 0.01*R. If we use a 200R resistor, the voltage will be 0.01*200V = 2V.

So, voltage drop across 200R resistor = 2V, when primary current = 10A.

However, remember that this is AC, and should be converted to DC. You may wish to use a precision rectifier.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Two simple answers:
- by shorting the output, you also minimize the primary voltage drop across the CT
- minimizing the current transformer voltage reduces also the flux, transformer VA and required core size

In a current transformer,
if the current is stepped down then the voltage will be stepped up so if we have 230 V on primary then 1000*230 =230K on the secondary so I = 230K/R.... why we don't take in this manner ?
I'm a bit confused at this part ..

so if we have 230 V on primary
You don't have 230 V "on" the current transformer primary. I presume, you want 230 V at the load and about no voltage drop at the CT.

Your calculation can be understood however as a warning about the risk of operating the CT secondary open and connecting a heavy load to the primary circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back