Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why cannot I increase duty - single phase square wave inverter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbrick

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello dear forum,

I build a single phase - square wave - full bridge inverter for the output frequencies of 25 - 105 Hz

I drive the mosfets with IR2183S driver IC

the circuit here

vibartorkart.JPG

my problem

I loaded the circuit with 500 W 220 V lamps

for higher output frequencies I can adjust duty between 10 - 70 % with the software - so far good

however if I decrease the output frequency below about 30 Hz the duty of the output square wave doesnot exceed %30 even if I adjust with the duty potentiometer

this is for lamp loaded condition

for no load , I can adjust and see duty of output at the osciloscope between 10 - 70 % - no problem

I observed the HIN-/LIN signal to IR2183 and LO gate signal to mosfet, no problem either ( while lamp loaded ) - goes down to 10 % and up to %70

however HO output has the same error : it doesnot goes above %30 duty

why is this strange behaviour ?

how can you help me

thank you

- - - Updated - - -

here Hgate vs HIN-/LIN

Hgate HINLIN.JPG

here Hgate vs Lgate

Hgate Lgate.JPG

Last edited:

hello thank you Frank,

I suspect the same thing

this circuit is a square wave full bridge single phase inverter for changing line frequency to 25 - 105 Hz output

there is a 900 nF SMD cap as bootstrap capacitor

can I add a 1 uF electrolytic cap parallel to it ?

is there a danger of increasing the bootstrap capacitor ?

Not sure how you calculate duty cycle, but in my view a ssquare wave inverter would implement 50 % duty cycle (or may 49% to allow some dead time) and can hardly go above 50 %.

There's surely no bootstrap problem with 50 % duty cycle, so most likely you are talking about problem of your "pwm" controller circuit. Unfortunately you didn't even mention the controller type.

the controller is STM32

I calculate the duty as follows

I measuse the square wave length of half period * multiply with 2 / divide by the period length

the schematic is here

IR2183.JPG

is there a problem if I increase the bootstrap capacitor ? what about an electrolytic cap ?

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back