Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why battery cars are not popular ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hydrogen fuel cells would be a real killer if some brainiac could replace the platinum with some cheaper material.. Produces H2O as waste product.

H tanks do blow up when blown up, but the H could be produced chemically as the car rolls... but that introduces another set of waste products ofcourse..

solar !!

As mentioned previously, the tesla roadster is an example of electric car with pretty damn good performance for speed/torque.
The problem with electric cars doesn't lie with the electric motor or controller, but with the energy storage/refill.
Hybrids are currently a good compromise...
(about producing H as the car drives... this produces braking torque, and a similar mechanism is currently used in electric vehicles to recharge capacitors/batteries)

sunderwood said:
As mentioned previously, the tesla roadster is an example of electric car with pretty damn good performance for speed/torque.
The problem with electric cars doesn't lie with the electric motor or controller, but with the energy storage/refill.
Hybrids are currently a good compromise...
(about producing H as the car drives... this produces braking torque, and a similar mechanism is currently used in electric vehicles to recharge capacitors/batteries)

I remember that GM produced a nice electric car and it retrieved it from the maket even If consumer liked it. Why ?

Correct.
The reason for that is probably more politics/economics related than technical...

sunderwood said:
Correct.
The reason for that is probably more politics/economics related than technical...

Politic/Economic ?

I didn't get.
In fact the Electric car will make countries less dependent to Oil especialy those who import a lot of Oil mainly the US. In addition the Electric car is not expensive compared to ordinary cars.

Is there any way to make a car which has all the following properties :

. Can run on solar

. Can run on battries

. Can also b run on Bio-Fule (such as Bio gas)

. Can b run on CNG as well.

Main reason is that power to weight ratio of bateries.

The technology is not ready for that. Too heavy, small autonomy, very high tech (susceptible to failure). There is also the safety issue, I would not like to be near a fully charged battery pack when another two tons car smash it. And of course, the main reason, which is purely dictated by those who makes money from oil.
But why fully electric car when there are so much to do with the classic one. Hybrid cars are a fair option. Think of how much energy is wasted when breaking. Think of the efficiency of the engine, it's well below 50%. Why not perfecting 6 stroke engine? Why not using more hybrid cars? Why not try to change the driving style of many truck drivers? Let me tell you one story about that. One good friend of mine which is a very bright engineer at DAF started to teach driving to some very old truck drivers. Imagine how funny is that, especially he's quite young. By studying all the parameters of the truck (gear ratios, fuel injection maps, torque demands vs engine speed, etcetc.) he instructed drivers how to drive economically, meaning when is the proper moment to change gear, how to accelerate, how to slow down, etc. The results were astonishing, on a simple 100km test (with the same car, same load) it consumed with aprox. 20% less fuel when driving "economically". All the fuel saved over one year for one truck, only by changing the driving style, was almost 10K euro.

/pisoiu

Truck and bus drivers floor the gas pedal so most of the fuel produces black smoke.

Have you noticed airplanes? They used to fly at max power for the first hour which wasted a lot of fuel.
Now some takeoff at nearly full power then throttle back soon to reduce waste. Then they are also quieter.

Added after 12 seconds:

Truck and bus drivers floor the gas pedal so most of the fuel produces black smoke.

Have you noticed airplanes? They used to fly at max power for the first hour which wasted a lot of fuel.
Now some takeoff at nearly full power then throttle back soon to reduce waste. Then they are also quieter.

my_books said:
why battery cars are not popular ? :?:

I think it is because the battery is very infectant and not very effective.

as they work only upto limited time.. and they need solar or... other resource back up...
resent advances in battery technologies makes things somewhat satisfactory...

Added after 2 minutes:

U know ?? with electronic device advancements greatly effects the battery systems. with advancements in photo voltaic device technologies efficient storage mechanisms are being built up..

pisoiu said:
The technology is not ready for that. Too heavy, small autonomy, very high tech (susceptible to failure). There is also the safety issue, I would not like to be near a fully charged battery pack when another two tons car smash it. And of course, the main reason, which is purely dictated by those who makes money from oil.
But why fully electric car when there are so much to do with the classic one. Hybrid cars are a fair option. Think of how much energy is wasted when breaking. Think of the efficiency of the engine, it's well below 50%. Why not perfecting 6 stroke engine? Why not using more hybrid cars? Why not try to change the driving style of many truck drivers? Let me tell you one story about that. One good friend of mine which is a very bright engineer at DAF started to teach driving to some very old truck drivers. Imagine how funny is that, especially he's quite young. By studying all the parameters of the truck (gear ratios, fuel injection maps, torque demands vs engine speed, etcetc.) he instructed drivers how to drive economically, meaning when is the proper moment to change gear, how to accelerate, how to slow down, etc. The results were astonishing, on a simple 100km test (with the same car, same load) it consumed with aprox. 20% less fuel when driving "economically". All the fuel saved over one year for one truck, only by changing the driving style, was almost 10K euro.

/pisoiu

Hello friend,
Fuel such as petrol, diesel r non - renewable resources of energy and also cause much pollution. Saving such fuel can extend the limit (years) of their extinction. But we have to make such a fuel which should be eco - friendly, renewable, efficient and economical. Also process of producing such fuel should not cause pollution.

my_books said:
Hello friend,
Fuel such as petrol, diesel r non - renewable resources of energy and also cause much pollution. Saving such fuel can extend the limit (years) of their extinction. But we have to make such a fuel which should be eco - friendly, renewable, efficient and economical. Also process of producing such fuel should not cause pollution.

You are right. But I don't know any alternative, better of worst, that could fulfill the energy requirements of this world at the level at which fosil fuel does. And by the way, there is another theory about the oil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_theory . Of course, proving that right would be even worse, meaning endless pollution.

/pisoiu

Does we inefficient to find an alternate to oil?

No, I dont think so. There is something behind it.

Whenever there is a need there is a solution.
This is law of nature

Nandhu

Does 6 billinon bunch really need more energy ?
I think effort should be put to reduce transportaion needs first - thus resulting in less energy consumption. I make 80 km trip every day towards office and back. But if virtual office tech will be ready - i wont do that at all.
And energy saving tech.
Of course theories behind TNC can be true . It is natural for them to earn money doing nothing. Like least part of the world doing that everyday.
And speed , after all do we need be in hurry? There is much to see if we find time time to look around.
Sometimes donkey is better than ferrari...

artem said:
Sometimes donkey is better than ferrari...

Yep, Soetimes donkey is better than ferrari.
But Many times we Need Ferrari. But ferrari need fuel which is not going to hold for long :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.