Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery or external power detect circuit

pacman22

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to come up with a design to detect if my board is being powered by battery or external DC power supply. How can I achieve this. The battery (VRLA battery, so no BMS) and the external power supply will be plugged in to the same 2 pin connector.

Hi,

You say "the same 2 pin connector" ... so I guess there is no chance for some kind of "DC power line communication".
And I guess there is no chance for mechanical/optical (or similar) coding. Like: one connector activating a switch while the other does not.

Then you simply have voltage and current to work with.
If so: Your job is to specify both supplies and find a clear definition where they differ from each other.
* it could be simply the DC voltage range. Maybe the battery is 11V...14V .. while the DC power supply is >14.5V.
* it may be the voltage ripple .. lower on the battery than on the DC supply
* it may be the impedance that differs between them.

You have to understand that we can not know how to differentate between them. You need to know/give these informations.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back