Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which triacs can i use with MOC3020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharadbags

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
moc3020 circuit

HI
I want to drive a 230V AC load from a triac whose gate is fired by MOC3020.
The circuit diagram is at
https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/21_1228334288.jpg

as per debugging done uptill now, I found that output of MOC3020 isn't able to drive the triac gate. Currently I am using BT136. suggest something else.

triac circuit diagram

I didn't yet find a triac, that doesn't work with MOC3020, BT136 e. g. works. I don't think that your explanation is correct.

triac diagram

Me too never experience MOC3020 that did not drive any Triac. Even one time I bought (very cheap) a Triac that carries no number on it also worked fine.
Check what Sinisa had said. Or verify your circuit connection.

ENJOY!

triacs an avr

As previously mentioned in your other same-topic thread, you either damaged the coupler, or the drive level is too low. Or the real circuit is different from the schematic.

moc3020

Hai sharadbags
It seems ok with your schematic. Check the opto between pin 1 and 2 will give a forward bias as you'll be cheking a LED inside it. If you dont get any readings replace the MOC. If you get it, then try shorting the pin 4 and 6 while powered on. Your load should work in this way and if it works then replace the Triac as it is not triggering. Good luck

moc3020 triac

Hi pranam77 and everyone who replied to this topic.

I tried the following experiments and found the following results.

1) The schematic is same as layout
2) during forward bias the voltage across input diode is coming as 1.5-1.9V and in reverse bias the full voltage is appearing -3.3 V . the variation in forward voltage is observed when I changed input resistance from 470 to 47 ohm.
3) On shorting Pin 4 & 6 of MOC, still the bulb didn't lit up.
4) on shorting pin 1&2 or 2&3 of the triac, the load lit up which is obvious from the circuit diagram.

I have done experiments by replacing MOC 4 times. still the load doesn't lit.

Suggest what should I do.

Thanks
sharadbags

triac to use with moc3020

hai sharad
You wrote
3) On shorting Pin 4 & 6 of MOC, still the bulb didn't lit up.
4) on shorting pin 1&2 or 2&3 of the triac, the load lit up which is obvious from the circuit diagram

according to your observation on point 3 it is 100% clear that the fault lies in the triac side and not the control side. Just replace the Triac and be sure that you connect the pin 4 of the Opto to the Gate. While shorting the 4&6 pins manually the triac should fire as this is what the opto does when the internal LED. Good Luck

moc3020 & triac circuit

Hi
can anyone give the complete schematic of triac and moc3020 along with the values of resistor to be put for lighting up a 230V AV from AVR microconttoller running at 3.1 V and can supply 15-20 ma at its port.

when i shorted pin 4 & 6 of moc and put 67K in between gate and Mt1. the bulb lit up for a very brief period and then turned off.
can you guess what happened and what has to be corrected.

how moc3020 work

Just replace the Triac and be sure that you connect the pin 4 of the Opto to the Gate. While shorting the 4&6 pins manually the triac should fire as this is what the opto does when the internal LED. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back