Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which tools can be used for the ESD simulations for ASICs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhirtj

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

can anyone tell me which tools can be used for the ESD simulations for ASICs.

Thanks,
Sudhir

Re: ESD TOOLS

sudhirtj said:
Hi,

can anyone tell me which tools can be used for the ESD simulations for ASICs.

Thanks,
Sudhir

Do you want to run the ESD simulations. I mean HBM or MM ?
if yes then you can use HBM & MM models (which contains only simple R, C & L). Give the conditions & you can simulate.

But if your ESD protection circuit is not simulatable, then you can not simulate it.

Hi Rajesh13,
Thanks for the reply. Where can i find documentations on this ESD stuff? Please send me if you have any links for the ESD.
Thanks,
Sudhir

Just my own opinion, I don't think there is any effective commercial tool that can handle ESD simulation now. That's why it is called "black magic", spice can do some help here, but most of time, if you just want to make an effective ESD circuit, just follow the fab's design rule and the circuit and layout that has already been done by others.

The very good thesis linked by FOM explain that technology 2D or 3D tools are needed ... can you imagine to get enough data for such simulation :!:

You can simulate Non breakdown devices by HBM and MM.
This example is for Hspice HBM2kV simulation

SUBCKT HBM NEG POS
RR1 NET20 POS 1.5K
LL4 NET20 NET5 7.5u
CC5 POS NEG 10p IC=0
CC4 NET20 POS 1p IC=0
CC0 NET5 NEG 100p IC=2K
.ENDS HBM

I've tried to simulate HBM/MM using SPICE based tools but find that most models even in normal conduction are not very accurate in the high current regime of ESD. You foundry had to extend the models to get accurate high current behavior. As mentioned earlier, it is only valid for NON-breakdown/snapback behavior. If your clamps use snap-back or SCR action it will be difficult to simulate.

Dr.Prof

Yes !! I agree with DrProf. For Simulating Breakdown / Snapback behaviour, the foundry need to upgrade the models. Anyway, in modern designs we are usually moving towards the non-breakdown type of devices which are easy to simulate and predict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back