Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which should I design first, LNA or PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

softstone

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
LNA or PA?

Now i have chance to design LNA and PA, but i don't know which one i should select at first.
give me a advice!

Re: LNA or PA?

Hi, softstone

LNA is the first stage and the most important stage in wireless system, so choose LNA.

Cheers,

Davy

Both have their challenge. LNA means optimizing for minimum noise figure. PA means optimizing voor maximum efficiency and linearity. It is not like one design is much easier than the other.

softstone said:
Now i have chance to design LNA and PA, but i don't know which one i should select at first.
give me a advice!

It is my opinion in turn of difficulities (easy first) -
1. LNA;
2. filters - duplexer, SAW, etc
3. PLL;
4. Oscillator
5. Mixer;
6. Power Amplifer

Both deserve study.For me ,I will choose LNA.

Given a choice i'll go for LNA first as it's design is less demanding than a PA design. Moreover the Impedance matching is relatively better off in a LNA

LNA or PA?

I choose LNA too

LNA or PA?

I also think that the lna will be deserved for challege

Each design has it's own problem and issues. As for me, I'm doing LNA design. To be more challengiing, I would like to implement Active Inductor(noise hunger device) in LNA. Wish for my luck! :D

LNA or PA?

LNA design is relative easy .

If you choose LNA Keep it intrinsecally stable (with reactive feedback).
If you choose PA Keep it as more linear as possible (with feedback)....
So start studying feedback...

LNA or PA?

for a newbie ,choose lna design is better

LNA or PA?

If you do not believe that RF energy is harmful to your health, then you can start to study PA.

How long can an LNA design be completed?

LNA is preferable for me,I like challenge

LNA or PA?

Both are good, It's dependent on your background

LNA or PA?

I think PA is more challenging. For LNA, the main concern is only noise figure. That's all. And it is quite easy to make a LNA. Of course, if you are going to design a wide-band LNA, it is not easy. But this also applies to the PA design.
For PA design, you have to consider the linearity, efficiency and output power, which are "inter-contradictive" problems. You can learn a lot from PA design.

WalterChan said:
I think PA is more challenging. For LNA, the main concern is only noise figure. That's all. And it is quite easy to make a LNA. Of course, if you are going to design a wide-band LNA, it is not easy. But this also applies to the PA design.
For PA design, you have to consider the linearity, efficiency and output power, which are "inter-contradictive" problems. You can learn a lot from PA design.
i agree with you.do you have some good papers about PA design?

LNA or PA?

This is an article based primarily on empirical evidence, and is not the usual theoretical treatment of the subject of PA design, although it is in full agreement with the laws of physics. As such I think you will find it offers some fresh information in the spirit of amateur radio and experimentation, and will be of particular interest to QRP (10 watts SSB, 5 watts CW) aficionados.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back