Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which company is better in DSP, Philips or TI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesyang1209

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Philips v.s TI.

Hi group,
For general purpose DSP (in video field), Philips and TI are the leading company now.
TI has lots of third-party and many university use TI DSP to train their student. You can search lots of TI relate resources and forums.
But, Philips... seems wose.
What's the Philips problem?

Re: Philips v.s TI.

I am using TI's DSP.
Philips is not doing well in this field.

Philips v.s TI.

Ti's dsp is quit good, but are not suitable for video processing. Try trimedia from Philips.

eric_ec_chen said:
Ti's dsp is quit good, but are not suitable for video processing. Try trimedia from Philips.

Have you ever use Philips Trimedia to do some project?

hichen said:
I am using TI's DSP.
Philips is not doing well in this field.
This is not true.
Philips still strong in video processing field.
The only problem is, TI share all of their resources to their 3'rd party.
That's why the number of TI's 3'rd patries exceed a lot than Philips' ones.

I recommend TI's DSP.
Because there are a lot of developing materials and many engineers use them.

haulm said:
I recommend TI's DSP.
Because there are a lot of developing materials and many engineers use them.

But another problem comes.
Since TI's solution is easy to get, many products developed seems very similar.
Maybe that's why some people still use Philips.

jamesyang1209 said:
Hi group,
For general purpose DSP (in video field), Philips and TI are the leading company now.
TI has lots of third-party and many university use TI DSP to train their student. You can search lots of TI relate resources and forums.
But, Philips... seems wose.
What's the Philips problem?

Hey!

You are biased, and forgot to mention one of the best players on the matter: Analog Devices' Blackfin. Have a look at their ADSP-BF533 and ADSP-BF561. More than powerful, at lower prices, with lower power consumption, good development tools and LOTs of people working on/with it.

JaaC

I am using TI's DSP

Actually, Philips dsp and ti's are not in same catalog. Ti does general DSP. It is suitable for almost all dsp applicaiotns. philips does media processor . It is not as flexible as TI part but it is more powerful to media processing.

I would recomentd for TI processor for the speed and genereal purpose configurable architecture..ease of development etc.......than philips trimedia.

Analog Devices' Blackfin is dubbed as a Media Processor, with good reasons for that: interfaces adequate to capture video data from/to video encoders and decoders, Video ALU, very power efficient, compiler and RTOS friendly, etc...

TI's has its DM series (modifications of the C64x series for video processing).

And very important: both kind of processors are wel supported by their manufacturers and LOTS of 3rd party developers. Philips' TriMedia can be good at media processing, but rather hard to find resources for developers.

JaaC

Philips v.s TI.

Ti wide than Phi

TI is the pioneer in IC market but Philips is more smart.
for example, now the bigest MP3 SOC seller is Philips.
There are many famous mp3 brand use philips chip set.
but TI has had mp3 reference 5 years age.
Video market is still under ground, we don't see any big growth in Taiwan.

I think TI is very focus on the DSP market but Philips focus some markets like Display, Consumer, RF .... a lot.

Ti is good at the DSP and suitable for the mobile phone speech/audio processing. Philips is strong in the comsumer elec. and RF components. Two different semiconductor manufactures.

Philips v.s TI.

Ti make more special DSP

Philips v.s TI.

in the video , philips is better and professional ....

Status
Not open for further replies.