Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where should I start learning CMOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobile-it

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
john uymera

Hi!

I have some questions,
I want to learn about CMOS or is there at this time another technology that will be the technology of the future?
I want to become a IC designer where do I start?
I am an Industrial Engineer in electronics so I have some electronics knowledge!

what programs etc do I have to learn?

Greetings and thanks for helping me into my future ;)

Re: CMOS

The design methodologies for Analog ICs and Digital ICs differ. Different technologies and tools are used. Furthermore, you will understand well about the IC to be designed and the system where the IC is used. The complexity of large ICs are very large. It will take a large amount of time to understand the technologies used in a complex IC. In one design methodology path, there are many divided steps, each step also requiring different technologies and tools. Therefore, take your time to think about your interest and which kind of jobs among the whole and different IC design jobs you will have.

mobile-it said:
Hi!

I have some questions,
I want to learn about CMOS or is there at this time another technology that will be the technology of the future?
I am an Industrial Engineer in electronics so I have some electronics knowledge!

Hi

Cadence is one software. You do not need to learn Programs now. Learn books on transitors. CMOS is transistor technology.

Start learning from Diodes, BJT then with this knowledge needed move later to FETs and MOSFETs as the last two consist in CMOS design.

djalli said:
mobile-it said:
Hi!

I have some questions,

Hi

Cadence is one software. You do not need to learn Programs now. Learn books on transitors. CMOS is transistor technology.

Start learning from Diodes, BJT then with this knowledge needed move later to FETs and MOSFETs as the last two consist in CMOS design.

Do you have some good books concerning this technologies?
In school we have used Microelectronics Circuits from Sedra/Smith (ISBN 0-19-511690-9) so I know a little about it.

mobile-it said:
Do you have some good books concerning this technologies?
In school we have used Microelectronics Circuits from Sedra/Smith (ISBN 0-19-511690-9) so I know a little about it.

That book is a good start. I started with that book. Start from chapter4 with BJT I hope you have have a look at ch3 diodes. MOS digital circuits are in ch13.

Very important chapters are ch5 & 6. Ch8 feedback is also very important. CH9. skip ch10 & 11 (filters). Then start from ch13.

Only advice is to do all problems in chapter. See answers in the back and be creative. Remember people built these started with nothing but you have the book already to learn it.

djalli

You may also try this book:

Analysis And Design of Analog Integrated Circuit by Gray & Meyer

Publisher: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.

ISBN 0-471-37752-X

Hope this helps.

One of the way to become an IC designer is get familiar with the VLSI (very large scale integared) topic.Besides, known to design CMOS,etc using S-Edit and L-Edit tanner software.

One of the way to become an IC designer is get familiar with the VLSI (very large scale integared) topic.Besides, known to design CMOS,etc using S-Edit and L-Edit tanner software.

IF you have basic information about electronic, i suggest that you study about the physics of MOS [S.M. ZEE is a good referance], fabrication technology [S.M ZEE,] , You study about analog integration circuit [ Razavi, Ken martin, temes] Digital integration circuit[eshragian, david hadges, ken martin].

CMOS

u can go thru the basic of digital system design and semiconductor physics.a good book to start is "cmos and vlsi design" by uymera

CMOS

this book named" circuit design layout and simulation" is very good.some of chapters will hope u .

hi

There r a lot of books to learn CMOS.
one good book for this is "Semiconductor Integrated Circuits by R.S.Muller".
As u go through, u should also think in which domain u would like to make a
career. These are the domains.

1.Digital Front End
2.Digital Back End
3.Analog Front End
4.Analog Back End

Each one is a challenging one.

djalli said:
...Microelectronics Circuits from Sedra/Smith (ISBN 0-19-511690-9)...

That book is a good start. I started with that book. Start from chapter4 with BJT I hope you have have a look at ch3 diodes. MOS digital circuits are in ch13.

Very important chapters are ch5 & 6. Ch8 feedback is also very important. CH9. skip ch10 & 11 (filters). Then start from ch13.

djalli

I think this is a good book but it is not focused toward the design of microelectronic circuits and doesn't explain the techniques that actually are being used. However, the new edition (fifth edition) is very good and explain everything about the design of IC's.

Analysis and design of analog integrated circuit by Gray and Meyer is a very good book and show some techniques that are used in IC's.

CMOS

Hi,

Nowaday, DSP (design and application) and SOC (system design, verification, and integration) are
good fields to enter.

Other basic book for analog:

CMOS Analog Circuit Design

P.Allen, D.R.Holberg
Oxford University Press
ISBN 0-19-511644-5

There are some slides that correspond to a course based on this book in the forums.

Ian

The best way is go back to school to do a degree... don't take night class or read book... you're just scratching the surface if you do so

CMOS

I'd say start with Sedra and Smith and learn the basics and do the problems in the book. Then get Paul Gray's book Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits.

CMOS

You can start with the books "Microelectronics Circuits" of Rashid, with this you can learn CMOS technology. CMOS technology is the basis of the IC design. Next you can read "VLSI Desing" of Douglas, and next you can read "Diseño de Circuitos Integrados de Aplicacion Especifica ASIC" of Deschamps, there is a problem the last book is write in spanich.

Another question, your welcome.

depends what ru doing now
if u havent yet completed ur bachlors, go for a higher course say MS or MTech
if already working, do some short courses
because to find a job in this field will require some degree to back u
and to study...............
i think others have suggested u quite well

Try the following tools (preferablly Linux enviorment as industry works on that)
Spicef3 from berkeley (simulation)
LT Spice (simulation)
Magic layout tool
Lasi Layout tool
The tools are free ware
Learn scripting language e.e perl
And Start with Sedra Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor