Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the best 8-bit MCU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoaspilet11

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
best 8 bit mcu

Guys,

I'm pooling opinions whats the best 8-bit MCU to use. I mean speed-wise, capacity, development support, cost etc.

I am currently using PIC18F67J11, whick I believed one of the best 8-bit from microchip. It has 128KB flash, 3900+ bytes of RAM, 2 SPI, 2 USART. Max speed of 12MIPS @ $2.79$ each. And the good thing I like this one is it is present in my favorite simulator proteus (only PICF6720 is modeled but very much the same as PIC67J11).

I am sure there are expert folks that can tell their opinions on what MCU is best for them.

Thanks,
neo

the best 8 bit mcu

blueroomelectronics said:
Nice PIC, you'll need a decent programmer. Soldering those 100pin TQFP packages can be a pain.

Soldering TQPF can be a challenge but after a few its not really more difficult than other SMT devices.

Cheers,
Slayer

sodering tqpf

neoaspilet11 said:
Guys,

I'm pooling opinions whats the best 8-bit MCU to use. I mean speed-wise, capacity, development support, cost etc.

neo

I think you cannot just state that an 8-bit MCU is the "best" of all 8-best MCU !!
For me, and may be for many on that forum, "best" should be related to a particular application.

So, I'd advise you first to define what you want to do and then, only then you'd be able to find the "best" 8-bit MCU for your project !!!

If you define all parameters of your project, you may consider using MAPS of Microchip.

Best regards
Kabanga

avr microchip mcu better forum

everyone is comfortable with some or the other microcontroller which their project needs. Some may not be aware of controller which other talk or even know the features of that.

IT IS A MERE WASTE OF TIME POSTING THESE KIND OF THREADS WHICH ARE OF NO USE TO ANYONE.
By the way what is that you want to prove by this thread.
You can only judge the value of this post with the number of visitor for this thread and the number of replies you have got.

Let this forum be something creative or for helping the one in need rather than conducting some polling.

best mcu

its depend onyour design requirement.

best mcu for application

it will depend on what kind of application you are doing. but i suggest that the ATMEL ATmega8 is the best microcontroller that i used.

becoz it has a:
-128k bytes ISP Flash
-32 x 8 GPWR+PCR
-16MIPS @ 16Mhz
-4k bytes of EEPROM
-4k bytes of SRAM
-2 SPI
-2 USART
- and it is cheap about $3.68 (US dollar) in philippines.

regards,
randell_xtian:D:D:D:D

microchip pic 2usart

Adding randell_xtian comment
it will depend on what kind of application you are doing.

which you find easy to use and easily available.

regards
nandhu

which is the best mcu

It depends upon your requirement and availability. but we would like to suggest to use AVR

holtek microcontrollers + indian prices

the best MCU is that MCU who can maximized the system, but if you asking me what i prefer choose to use i'll said i like MCS-51 fammily and ATmega fammily. it's simple, cheap and use full, and the important thing I can find that chip almost in the side of my country, include a small town hehehehehe

best 8bit mcu

AVR for common application

lowest price 8 bit mcu

Pics are for me
But I have used few other Microcontrollers.
But as I looked , I cannot see more versatile nor comprehensively supported than Pic
Soft and HardwareWise.PRICEWISE too.:D
That is only my opinion ....
There are others that will disagree..as I look up here

Added after 10 minutes:

ckshivaram said:
everyone is comfortable with some or the other microcontroller which their project needs. Some may not be aware of controller which other talk or even know the features of that.

IT IS A MERE WASTE OF TIME POSTING THESE KIND OF THREADS WHICH ARE OF NO USE TO ANYONE.
By the way what is that you want to prove by this thread.
You can only judge the value of this post with the number of visitor for this thread and the number of replies you have got.

Let this forum be something creative or for helping the one in need rather than conducting some polling.

Seems to me that he got some interest .:D:D:D

top mcu

PICS are best but difficult to use
AVR and ATmel are easy to use but a little costly than pics

mcu best

compared to Atmel,PIC is the easy avliable model in market.Samples, code examples also available on free of cost.We can find more models too. Encryption also not complicated in this type.

So, I suggest to go with PIC.

Here we go again!!!!!

There is no "Best 8-Bit MCU". What is best depends on the application.

Microchip's PIC is best for cost, versatility, and support.

Atmel's AVR is better for speed, but somewhat more expensive and harder to get.

TI's MPS430 is king of low power consumption and easy to get. (actually is is a 16-bit chip)

etc, etc, etc.

Returning ,after giving a chance to AVR first ...

I downloaded some simple ones.

I found quickly ::::

The most annoying for me NO INTERNAL OSCILLATOR !!!!
The 8 pins are limited to a very low count of input outputs and therefore reduce
the possibilities offered by the chip

Futher the versatility compared to PIC is near to nil.(in low end area at least)

And more !! the DATA SHEETS are also lacking in ........ DATA .

Need I say more ????

Sorry ... to the chaps who do not agree......
At least I do'nt say which is the best , I leave it to your imagination.....

I wont look any further..:cry:

I like PIC16F877.. VERY GOOD MCU..

Concluding that an 8-bit micro is better than another because it delivers more MIPS, has other peripheral interfaces, etc are meaningless at best. If it's speed you're after, I'd say the worst choice you've done is settling on a 8-bit micro, and if I only need one SPI - what makes a chip with 2x SPI better than a chip with one? It's most likely more expensive and has stuff I won't use. Same goes for RAM and flash. What I often do is using the devices with maxes out on RAM, flash, peripherals, etc for development. When my program works as intended, I optimize the code and RAM consumption. After that, depending on my final peripheral needs, I can settle on a device that looks just right for the job, usually the cheapest or most power efficient device that fullfills my requirements. That device is the best one.

EDIT: Also, 8-bit PIC and AVR is pretty much the same cup of tea. The best of the two is the device family you have programming experience with, since that device provides you the fastest development process, thus cutting down on development cost and development time.

Recently I´m looking too Holtek flash micro... same core like microchip pic16 and low price!

Gorkin

Status
Not open for further replies.