Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the purpose of a 0-ohm resistor placed in a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0-ohm resistor

in plant where circuit are build
0 ohm resister are used because
any one can achive this by short
circuit any two points but robotic hand
which assemble circuit need component
to place

Re: 0-ohm resistor

Can anyone explain like what is the meaning of X% tolerance in case of 0E resistor. I got amused by seeing the tolerance specification for 0E like 5% or 1% 0E resistor.

0-ohm resistor

All of the above....

And the manufacturers are bound by their coding system to put a tolerance otherwise the system throws it out.

0-ohm resistor

Why do not use a simple wire ?

0-ohm resistor

Sometimes a wire is harder to place on the board.

I.E. if it's SMT then an SMT Zero ohm component is needed. Also it need to be the same size of any possible resistor/capacitor put there if its for an
optional part.
(Placement machines cannot pick up wire links but they can flat resistor packages).

There is also the issue of cost, simple wire has more copper in it to enable it to be thick enough to handle.
Copper is a high value resource now.
And there is an operation needed to cut it to size and bend to shape.
So sometimes a pre prepared component can be cheaper than simple wire. Crazy I know.

Although, if you have high current or very long links needed then the wire is usually best.

0-ohm resistor

These 0805 and 1206 size jumpers are actually small bars of copper. They handle higher current than ordinary 0-ohm resistors.
**broken link removed**

0-ohm resistor

0ohm resistor might be the most used component in the circuit.

0-ohm resistor

Sometimes we can use bypass capacitor to replace 0R resistor if DC blocking is taken into consideration.

hi

could anyone plz tell me how much current a zero ohm resistor can withstand?
will it allow infinite amount of current as it can be treated as a short wire?

regards
skr

0-ohm resistor

Many zero-ohm resistors are fabricated like ordinary resistors. They aren't quite zero ohms, and won't survive much current.

Other types are make from little copper bars, and can carry amps.

You should refer to the data sheet for your particular part.

I have HAMEG equipment in my lab and i noticed they put lots of 0-ohm resistors (axial) on the single-layered PCBs. It is probaly much easier to mount such resistors automatically instead of simple pieces of wire. I also use such resistors in some of my single-layered PCB's because they look nice then :)
Also, SMD 0-ohm resistors are used in two-layer PCB when there is impossible to place some copper tracks between components during design stage.

0-ohm resistor

As the bridge between A_GND and D_GND,or analog power and digital power .

0-ohm resistor

One of the advantages is that 0 ohm resistor is usual used to debug for those projects in design period.

0-ohm resistor

I like using zero ohm resistors because I can use them in series and its easy to add the total resistance up when your bad at maths :D

Forget that its called a "resistor" and think instead of it as just a "link".

I have used 0ohm links in my ckt.and they were very useful in troubleshooting of the ckt.
One can use them along with the decoupling capacitors for the supply pins of the IC.

Please keep in mind that actually zero ohm chip resistor has about 0.5 ohms resistance, 0.5 nH inductance and some parasitic capacitance as well. This capacitance depends on PCB substrate. When you do high frequency design it is important. On GHz frequencies we often use it as small (below 1 nH) inductor.

BR,
RF-OM

I'm usually using 0 Ohm device to enable some function on the board, then with a single PCB I can achieve several different function simply by set the right 0 Ohm resistor, from this point of view a 0 Ohm resistor act like a simple jumper.
Just take care about the maximum current that a 0 Ohm is able to carry on (this depend on the technology and the size), 0 Ohm isn't a shunt or fuse.
Also a 0 Ohm can be used to keep simpler your PCB routing.

Cheers
F.F. a.k.a. Powermos

0-ohm resistor

for the test,or make the trigger more smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back