Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between SI in prime time and SI in HSPICE?

Collang2

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I'm working as a Static Timing Analysis engineer from ASIC company. I've been using prime time, and I know how to do SI analysis in Gate-Level Netlist.

I got the job description, and there is a "requirement of experience: PrimeTime, HSPICE"
1) What does the STA Engineer do with HSPICE?
2) And what is the difference between HSPICE SI and PrimeTime SI?

Solution
you can use HSPICE on some (few) select paths to get more accurate timing results than what you get from STA.
take any project you have, pick the most critical path and export it to a spice file. simulate it. be prepared to see 1-3% difference.
you can also calibrate error margins in physical synthesis with HSPICE results that way.

SI, assuming you mean coupling/glitching effects, will be more detailed in HSPICE too. but it comes with a cost, you cannot do whole chip SI analysis in HSPICE.
you can use HSPICE on some (few) select paths to get more accurate timing results than what you get from STA.
take any project you have, pick the most critical path and export it to a spice file. simulate it. be prepared to see 1-3% difference.
you can also calibrate error margins in physical synthesis with HSPICE results that way.

SI, assuming you mean coupling/glitching effects, will be more detailed in HSPICE too. but it comes with a cost, you cannot do whole chip SI analysis in HSPICE.

Solution
HSPICE tends to offer higher accuracy due to its detailed transistor-level modeling, but it comes at the cost of longer simulation times. PrimeTime sacrifices some accuracy at the transistor level for faster results, making it more suitable for larger designs and higher-level analysis.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back