Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between Atmel and Microchip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pic16f84

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microchip,atmel

what is diffrence between microchip microcontroller and atmel and motrol microcontroller and which useing in small and huge appliaction

Re: microchip,atmel

Oh boy, I hope your question doesn't start a flame war!
They are all fairly similar, but the microchip line is a bit older, and seems to have a broader support base, although there are a lot of atmel resources around now, too. They all have large and small memory chips, and feature many peripheral devices, with the pic, perhaps just a bit more robust in this regard. I think the motorola processors are probably quite similar, but they are hard to find where I live, so I have ventured into the others.
I guess you are trying to decide which one to start using? I would go with whatever is available, or cheapest for you. You can always look into the others later, when your understanding increases.
Hope this helps,
Robert

Of cource Atmel gives better performance as their instructions are done mostly in one cycle while pic's need 4 and so on. Otherwise PIC's can drive bigger currents from theis pins (not sure about that). I didnt try PIC's, bu I think thei have their own place in industry. For myself, I like ARM architecture better than PIC's.
Mindaugasu
-----------------------
www.scienceprog.com

Hi pic16f84 what is the purpose you are asking this question?
BeeBop is right, hope this won't start a war :)
Basically in my personal opinion, one can not compare the uCs, because I think each vendor always prepare themself to compete one another, so whatevert good feature a vendor has developed, then other vendor should start also to develop it.

So i suggest if you are comparing them for choosing the right one for an application, just use the one you are familiar with and the one which is available :)
in my old school I used AVR,8051 from atmel, but now in my new school the only thing we got is HCS12, so i thought it will be agood idea to learn something new.

regards,

microchip,atmel

Avr is easy to use fot beginner but are not reliable like PIC.
The ganeration AT90s had many problems.

microchip,atmel

AT90s has been replaced by MEGA.

Hi,

Choose AVR if need free tools and support. ( AVRGCC,WINAVR, etc...)

Choose PIC if you need free samples( but not free tools except JAL.)

Shiveni.....

AVR is more professional and strong in communications especially i2c as compared to PIC in which i2c is difficult.

i think pic is better

Status
Not open for further replies.