Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is hot-topic in digital design now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
UWB and wireless USB are very hot in the market. ASIC verification also holds fort as a very hot field.

Best Regards,

ASIC design synthesis is hot. Physical migration has become very important.

dram2003 said:
I agree that verification is hot. Since not so many designers are willing to do testing, this area is lack of experts. (Many verification engineers started out as designers.) Also as circuit complexity is growing, verification methodology is not keeping up quite well. Specman Elite is a pretty good verification tool, with capability to generate random tests (or targeted random tests), which saves a lot of development effort in filtering out bugs. It also contain coverage analysis, which benchmarks the functional coverage of your testbench.

Other than that I think DSP, embedded controller area is pretty hot.

dram

From the point of view of design flow , verification is becoming more and more important, for design complexity growing, more requirements come up with SOC, SW/HW co verification.

The hot point in verification is assertive verification language/methdology.
System Verilog is an example. But it seems that SV is still not well developed, or say it is still not mature enough(I mean tool support, but not the standard).
Specman E is really a great tool. But it is expensive and may be not easy to master at the beginning. In US and India there are some Companies supply contract verification with specman e.

Several years ago, we may doubt the future of FPGA. But the fact is that, during the past five years, the growth of FPGA is fast than that of ASIC. To some extent, it is even take place of ASIC. One of the reason is the growing complexity, long time to market, high risk and great NRE of ASIC; the other reason is that the cost decreasement of FPGA with new manufacture technics.

So there comes up a new item, Structual ASIC, something between FPGA and ASIC.

Some researchers from industry also describe/forecast that the development of FPGA and ASIC look like waves.

elton, maybe you'd get paid more if you knew how to turn off capslock :roll:

Anyway, most digital design stuff is all about the same skills and if you are a fast learner and have the right transferrable skills then they are far more important to an employer than any given application area. Of course, the employer doesn't know that sometimes, but one guy who interviewed me once said that every time he'd hired someone for specific application experience it always truned out that he was so narrowly focussed on his previous job that he couldn't even adapt to a very similar job in the new company.

Wireless SoC I think which invloved too the NoC

power-twq said:
I think the most hot topic in IC design is low power, high performane,

low cost.

Low power --> low voltage swing interconnect (buses), usage of coding for buses, adaptive performance based on process variation, mmm... what else...

Maybe OEIC(OptoElectronic Integrated Circuits)will be hot !

I think IP VIP and SIP.
The embedded the CPU such as ARM, MIPS is highlight also.

SoC, SIP, ASSP is the biggest the highlight

low power, verification, in SoC software hardware co-design co-verification and so on

1) high performance.

2) small die size.

3) gals (global aynchronous and local synchronous)

4) low power

5) signal integrity

best regards

eexuke said:
Can anybody share any idea? I think SoC maybe one.

DFM, designe for manufacture, can be one very important verification under 90nm.
Crosstalk & IR drop synthesis is also important under 90nm.

to puppet1
the FPGA and ASIC will never die!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back