Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is a MOS capacitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esha

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone explain about MOS capacitor
or
can anyone suggest a book where i can get some information about MOS capacitor ?

I think that is when MOS transistor is used as capacitor. MOSFET has capacitor in his gate, that can be used in that purpose.

As you can see on the picture there is Cox, capacitance of oxide in MOSFET gate...
That is main reason why MOSFETs are slower than BJTs.

I think that you need this book: D.R. Holberg "CMOS analog circuit design", not sure about that....

plz refer to the book "Digtal Integrated Circuits by ken Martin"
i think after reading this book u get a good knowledge abt the mos capacitor

or u should refer to fabrication of Capacitors in ICs it also give u a valuable information

used as a capacitor for tintegrated circuits

Added after 49 seconds:

used as a capacitor in integrated circuits

MOS=metal oxide semiconductor. It functions as a capacitor by applying a gate bias.

The basic structure of MOS (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) forms a capacitor.
To explain qualitatively, consider that a current is flowing in the semiconductor. Now we have the scenario that there is an insulating medium (oxide layer) in between two conducting media (metal is the other). This is similar to a parallel plate capacitor.

In MOSFETs, the current in the semiconductor is established when a channel is present below the gate region. In this scenario, the capacitance is the maximum and this can be utilized effectively.

For a detailed quantitative description and a field theory perspective analysis, refer to the book "The MOS Transistor" by Yannis Tsividis..

Hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.