Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is a low inductance capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbrarAhmad

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is a low inductance capacitor?
what does inductance mean in a capacitor?
Suggest any low inductance capacitor for my low inductance coil i want to pass a pulse of nano second duration through my coil.

Any suggestion will help me a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

what does inductance mean in a capacitor?
Every electronic device designed for a specific purpose has intrinsic ( parasitic ) properties. For instance, an Electrolytic capacitor is composed by a twisted thin and long metallic plate wrapped around it axis, so that exhibits an undesirable inductance behaviour, particularly noticed at higher frequencies.

All plastic film caps are inherently low inductance. Some better than others with very low ESR. The abbreviations for popular plastic caps are; PTFE, PU, PE, PS. They are often self-healing as well.

The self resonant frequency of the coil and cap (SRF) must be >> 300MHz to pass 1ns rise time and much higher if this is the pulse width

For Rf caps using special Ceramic under 47 pF are used but not rated for high voltage like plastic. (Murata)

I prefer Polyurethane caps from Epcos / Panasonic.

Avalanche mode sparks can also be passed with small gaps which have sufficient low breakdown gap (1kV/mm) suitable for AC, but latch under DC with sustained current.

Pls supply schematic and photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back