Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does the fabrication yield mean ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahrein

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Fabrication yield?

It is mentioned in the book,

"By making the 1C chips as small as possible, the processing cost per chips decreases and fabrication yield increases, both contributing to lower cost."

I cant understand the meaning of fabrication yield?
Can anyone explain or give me some links that i can understand the key word above.

Re: Fabrication yield?

fab yield = number of good dies / total number of dies = number of good dies /(number of good dies + number of bad dies)

zahrein said:
It is mentioned in the book,

"By making the 1C chips as small as possible, the processing cost per chips decreases and fabrication yield increases, both contributing to lower cost."

I cant understand the meaning of fabrication yield?
Can anyone explain or give me some links that i can understand the key word above.

This simply means that if you shrink your design, then on the same wafer you can fabricate more no. of chips. That simply ammounts to more no. of chips at the same processing cost. But in reality it is not that straight forward. Because with the shrinkage, more & more complex things will come into picture, & things will not be that easy.

It is also related to what the Fabs call defect density. Every fab will have an intrinsic defect density where random defects cause devices to fail. This is measured in defects per square cm. So if you have a fixed defect density, the smaller the device size the less chance it has of being killed by random defects.
However, new technologies (shrinks) often have lower yields because they are not mature and may still have systematic defects. So it is not always true that making the devices smaller = better yield.
Also when you go too small, the devices begin to think they are toasters !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back