Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does E-phi,phi=90(deg) mean ? (IE3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmanson101

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ie3dlibrary external

I simulated antenna radiated pattern fot 2D polar pattern.
It draw three data E-total,phi=90(deg)
E-theta,phi=90(deg)
E-phi,phi=90(deg)
What does E-phi,phi=90(deg) mean ?
Is the [E-theta,phi=90(deg)]+[E-phi,phi=90(deg)]=[E-total,phi=90(deg)]?

Thanks in advance.

Re: IE3D question

Hi bmanson101,

E-theta and E-phi are the two coponents of the electric field in the direction of the versors theta and phi respectively. These two versos are orthogonal, and orthogonal also to the radius (direction of propagation).

In your case, they are measured in the plane phi=90(deg), that is the yz principal plane.

The relationship for linear polarization is E-theta^2 + E-phi^2 = E-total^2 .

Regards

Z

Thanks your reply.

The [E-total,phi=90(deg)] and [E-thera,phi=90(deg)] is yz plane.

What is the [E-phi,phi=90(deg)] mean plane?

I confused it.

E-theta at phi=90 is the theta-directed field on the yz plane.
E-phi at phi = 90 is the phi-directed field on the yz plane.
E-total at phi = 90 is the total field (sqrt(E-theta**2+E-phi**2)) on the yz-plane.

Jian, is there anyway that I can use parser in IE3D?
I am a bit fed up with using my hand-held calculator with 8 digits on.
I'd love to be able to feed values and have them evaluated by the SW.
regards,

cheng

Jian,

Can tell me how to get the exact 2D polar pattern in IE3d during the dual polarization antenna array simulation??? :p

Hi, Mr. Cheng:

Which parser does you want?
----------------your message---
Jian, is there anyway that I can use parser in IE3D?
I am a bit fed up with using my hand-held calculator with 8 digits on.
I'd love to be able to feed values and have them evaluated by the SW.

For the 2D polar pattern, you can always use the BROWSE GRAPH DATA in VIEW menu to get the exact values. On the PATTERNVIEW 10.0, you should even be allowed to save the data for the graph. Then, you can even overlay the data with some other graphs.

IE3D parser

Sorry for I was brief. What I mean is if I had a layer, whose top Z-coordinate was say 1.5mm, I wish to add one, whose top-Z is 1.5+0.1mm or whatever other value. I don't want to simply put 1.6mm for the top-Z. Or I may want to have the top - Z, say sin(angle) where angle is some parameter I may wish to use. Else, one loses a helluvu time calculating values with up to 8 digits for complex structures, that can easily be encompassed by the preprocessor of IE3D.

Regards,

cheng

Dear Mr. Cheng:

It seems to me you want to have a calculator built into the IE3D. I think we will investigate the possibility. Normally, I use Excel or the Calculator in the Accessory for it. Combining the Excel and the IE3D is quite useful. For example, if I want to create a helix with variable pitch size, I will not be able to get it done on the IE3D layout editor. What I can do is I can make it on Excel and import it into the CREATE AND EDIT VERTICES of the INPUT menu to build the helix automatically. I can also use the .3dt file for it. Anyway, there is quite some flexibility there. It also will be nice to have a parser based calculator on IE3D. We will investigate it anyway.

Dear Jian!

I must agree with Cheng.
I also appreciate if IE3D will be possible to make input in terms of simple math equations
(even symbolic) like Z2=Z1+2*height, where Z1 and height are parameters which may be generally
changed. Before simulation all equations may be recalculated and structure will change.
Such approach is used in MWS (user can use all VBA math commands and VBA scripts also) and it saves huge time when making project.

BTW in another part of Elektroda forum you recommended me to use Ie3dLibrary
and "User Defined Object" to use my scripts. It means that I must prepare external .exe which gives out verices.
I think it's not very comfortable to keep control of another program (and making .exe from Matlab...).
Isn't it better to implement some easy language inside (like that VisualBasic)?
Sorry for my suggestions and thank you for your willingness.

eirp

Hi, Erip:

I understand what you want now. I think what you want are kind of the features in the IE3DLibrary. Basically, IE3DLibrary allows a user to define a set of variables. Then, you can associate the dimensions of those pre-defined objects with the variables. The User Defined Object is another a special object. It allows a user to define complicated objects which we have not implemented into the library.

At this time, we have 2 interfaces for IE3D (MGRID and IE3DLIBRARY). Each one has its strong point and weak point. MGRID's basic objects are vertices and polygons. It is not simple to associate each vertices with a formula. The IE3DLibrary is based upon objects. We can control the shapes of the objects with a set of variables. Certainly, it will be even nicer to have it associated with a formula. We will think about it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back