Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video controller IP and PowerPC 405

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOps

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
powerpc 405 video

Hello! i have XUPV2P board, and i want to display video data from DDR SDRAM on PC VGA monitor with a C program running on PPC.

i already wrote and tested simple C program, which just fills the specified DDR Memory location with color information. now, i must make my video controller read it from DDR...and display appropriate data on VGA.

ok, i already have a VHDL code for video signal generation with 1024x768 60Hz. i tested it...it works. now.. i want to turn it to the Peripheral and add as IP to the EDK project. here is the top entity code for my controller:
Code:
ENTITY VGAcore IS PORT (

SysClk:         IN STD_LOGIC;	-- 100 MHz system clock from AJ15 FPGA pin
  OutClk:			      OUT STD_LOGIC;	-- 65MHz 180 deg phase shifted clock for video chip

hsync:         	OUT STD_LOGIC;	-- Horizontal synchronization signal for D-sub connector
  vsync:         	OUT STD_LOGIC;	-- Vertical synchronization signal for D-sub connector

SYNC:         	 OUT STD_LOGIC;	-- !SYNC signal for the video chip
  BLANK:         	OUT STD_LOGIC;	-- !BLANK signal for the video chip

Red_out:        OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 DOWNTO 0);  -- 8 bit red color signal
  Green_out:      OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 DOWNTO 0);  -- 8 bit green color signal	
  Blue_out:       OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 DOWNTO 0); -- 8 bit blue color signal

Red_in:        IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 DOWNTO 0);  -- 8 bit red color signal
    Green_in:      IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 DOWNTO 0);  -- 8 bit green color signal	
    Blue_in:       IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 DOWNTO 0); -- 8 bit blue color signal

Row_out: OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(10 DOWNTO 0);
Col_out: OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(10 DOWNTO 0));

END VGAcore;

this entity will be used in the user_logic.vhd file, generated by the EDK Peripheral Wizard. Row_out and Col_out are signals coming from the internal state machine, which keeps track of the current pixel. (on which pixel the electron beam is at now..) it is considered that...in user_logic.vhd the logic receives those signals, compares them with another values of coordinates which come from PPC, and pass them back to VGAcore. VGAcore receives them as Blue_in..etc. and passes to the output...with Blue_out ports...

there is one thing... everyone suggests me to have some specified amount of SDRAM to store the entire screen page (as i did)
exactly: [1024x768x24] / 8 = 2.359296 bytes... but if so...then why do i need my VGAcore to keep track of the current pixel? why do i need Col_out and Row_out signals then? should i remove them?

and another question is... as i saw, every peripheral added to the EDK is assigned a driver... so, my video peripheral also will have a driver and run on PPC... but my idea is... i want to use PPC only to store video data inside SDRAM..nothing more!!

how to make my video peripheral standalone? running without drivers, and reading specified SDRAM locations automatically?

so i must use DMA to make my video peripheral read the DDR memory automatically and not to waste resources of PowerPC.
give a hint please, how to organize it? thanks!

if anyone did soemthing like this, please share ur experience, i'd appreciate it very much!

locallink powerpc 405

I just know that xilinx doesn't have any specific documents on generating peripherals using DMA (the PLBV46 migration document says you should see DMA migration chapter, which is non-existent). This is a problem I have too.
But I think for this to happen, in PLBV64 systems, you should design your core as an slave on the bus. PPC just controls control/status registers in the core (if any). Then, a LocalLink should be generated between your core and one of the ports of MPMC. Or you should use its SDMA link. I think the second is more logical, because PPC should know which part of the SDRAM you're accessing, so that no collision happens.

fpga powerpc std_logic

pix col and row is need in order to track which line is scan by sync generator, and keep alling with the sdram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back