Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vertical Polarization of loop antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankajdudulwar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to make my rectangular loop antenna vertically polarized in what way I should mount it on the PCB. IF I keep the rectangular loop parallel to the ground then how I can make the polarization vertical. Please see the attached figure. Also please advice me where I should keep the feed.

Thanking in advance,

Viewn in transmission direction, E- and H-field are perpendicular to each other. A loop with horizontal surface can only produce horizontal polarized E-field.

Yep, that is what I think too. If you put a loop in the same horizontal plane of the printed circuit board, it will be horizontal Electric field polarized.

You have a few choices:
mount your board on end, so it is vertical
Make part of the loop on the horizontal board, and solder on a "U" shaped bar to complete the loop
Use a quarter wave or base loaded whip antenna sticking out of the horizontal board

If you want to increase the power of the vertical polarization,
adding the vertical height or thickness, ex:helical antenna...
Where : the loop is located on horizontal plane.

-Small Loop antenna (Circumference << λ) in Horizontal position emits Horizontally polarized waves.
-Small Loop antenna in Vertical position emits Vertically polarized waves.

-Full wavelength Loop antenna (Circumference = λ) with feed point at center horizontal side, produces Horizontally polarized waves.
-Full wavelength Loop antenna with feed point at center vertical side, produces Vertically polarized waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back