Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Verilog 2001 and Ports with widths based upon parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmotoy

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to Verilog, but have a bunch of experience in VHDL. I'm trying to replicate something I accomplish with Generics in VHDL, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I understand that you could define port widths in pre-2001 Verilog using something like:
module adder (a,b,c);
parameter WIDTH = 2; //defult value
input [WIDTH-1:0] a;
input [WIDTH-1:0] b;
output [WIDTH-1:0] c;​

However, can the same thing be accomplished using the new module syntax made possible in Verilog 2001? I prefer that syntax since it's more compact and keeps ports and types together, but I can't figure out how to make it work. I figured something like:
module adder (
input wire [WIDTH-1:0] a,
input wire [WIDTH-1:0] b,
output reg [WIDTH-1:0] c);
parameter WIDTH = 2; //defult value​

But of course it complains that WIDTH is undefined. If I move the parameter definition above the module definition it compiles, but crashes my simulator (Active-HDL).

Is there a way to use the new syntax with port widths based on parameters? I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but I just don't see it. Thanks!

verilog introduces a new format for this.

Code:
module a #(
    parameter B = 1
  ) (
    output reg q;
    input      d;
    input      clk
  );

and then
Code:
  a #(
      .B(1)
   ) uut (
     .q  (Q),
     .d  (D),
     .clk(clk)
   );

which follows VHDL's generic/port conventions fairly close.

Thank you! That worked perfectly. I was hoping there was a way to do this with the newer syntax. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back