Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO design quuestion (centre frequency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumite

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have alittle question in vco design that may be seen as very basic but it is very confusing for me , i am designing vco with tail baised lc oscillator with discrete tuning (fine and coarse) so at the start should i design the tank to oscillate at the max frequency of oscillation and then by using varactor i can sweep across the tuning range or to design it(tank) at the centre frequency and then, how can i sweep the range from min to max knowing that iam initially at the centre ? And the capacitance of the varactor is only increasing or decreasing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance .

You have to first decide on the varactor, either max or min capacity. If minimum capacity, add a bit on for stray capacity. Now work out your inductance for the maximum frequency. Repeat using figure for varactor max cap (+stray C) and if you are in luck it will be lower frequency then required. if not you need a better varactor. remember, you need 4:1 cap for 2:1 freq (square law)
Frank

Reactions: kumite

kumite

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back