Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a MOSFET Relay over a Mechanical Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearxosp

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am in the process of design a PCB board for a project.

In a few words a PIC micro controller will control 2 solenoid valves and 1 peristaltic pump.
my design was to use 3 mechanical relays that will then turn on and off the components. but as i am going through my design again i am leaning to replacing the mechanical relays with MOSFET relays (like or something similar).

As this is the first time i am making something like this (making a PCB from scratch) i am concern to which MOSFET relay to choose. and how to connect it.

below i have attach my relay driver schematic as i have it right now with mechanical relays.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-11 140022.png
    Annotation 2020-06-11 140022.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 113

Hi,

a frequetly asked question. Thus there are discussions/solutions in the forum already.

some questions about o your circuit.
* an optocouper is for isoation. Do you need isolation at all?
* a relay provides isolation. A gain: do you need isolation? The relay connection seems that you don´t need isolation at all.
* do 5V and 12V reference to the same ground?

from what I see .. you don´t need isolation. Thus you dont need a relay. A simple logic level MOSFET (plus a freewheeling diode) will do the job.

Part selection:
Just go the the internet site of the distributor of your choice and use the according selection tool. Then input your design parameters. We don´t know them.
You will find many parts fitting to your requirements. You are free to choose...

Klaus

If you want short circuit protection, look at automotive low-side switches. One possible manufacturer is Infineon (they also have "normal" MOSFETs).

i used the optocoupler as the input signal from the microcontroller is 5 volt and the relay need 12V.

i ve look at different examples online and thats how they do it

Hi,

makes no sense to me.
You may use T2 without the use of the optocouper to drive the 12V relay with an 5V logic signal.

Klaus

..and I think you even don´t need the relay.

OK I understand. Appreciate your help.
So if i replace the Relay with a Mosfet, will just control the mosfet straight through the output of the micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back