Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a GPRS phone as a modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My application looks quite simple. I want to connect a mobile phone to the PC and configure it as a modem to browse the internet using the GPRS connection.

To try it out, I purchased the Siemens A65 phone and its data cable. Although after connecting it to Hyper-terminal, it responds to basic AT commands but I dont know how to use it as a GPRS modem. The siemens website does not give any modem driver for this phone.

Looks like I may have to buy another phone. I am prepared to do that if I know that the new phone will work. Can someone suggest which phone to use and does it have the AT commands for GPRS avaialable and is there any special way to do that.

Not 100% sure but all Siemens "A" telephones have been "striped down" versions of the other Siemens phones.

You can not send ans SMS (using AT commands) for example with any "A" phone it only understands the very basic AT commands.

sorry that I can not be more helpful on this

I see. That is why there is no driver or application on Siemens website.

Can you suggest some other phone whose AT commands etc are easily avaiable (for GPRS(

Hope the attachment will be helpful to you

techie said:
I see. That is why there is no driver or application on Siemens website.

Can you suggest some other phone whose AT commands etc are easily avaiable (for GPRS(

Try out old ericsson's R520 it is cheap and allows gprs

One of simplest solutions is to contact Siemens Service Centre and to ask them how to connect the phone as a GPRS modem.

My Siemens phone (A62) is GPRS capable but it cannot function as a GPRS modem.

aaNg

I hooked up the A65 to the PC serial port and configured it as a standard modem. It works perfectly as a GPRS modem. No properitery Siemens drivers used.

A65 accepts most of the standard GSM AT commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back