Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use of DSP instead of microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

vojke

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone!
I need some help. I have this board called IRADK (a picture is attached) which is used to control a speed of a asynchronous motor. It has everything that one needs in order to control a up to 2kW asynchronous motor. The microcontroller used on this board is PIC16F877A. My goal is to control this device (IRADK) using Texas Instrument TMS320F28335 DSP (a picture of it together with appropriate board is attached). So I need to take out my PIC (I love to work with PICs but my teacher gave me this task) and replace it with a TexasI DSP. So I need to connect pins with wires, but the problem is that DSP works with voltage level of 3,3 V and PIC works with voltage level of 5 V. Naturally I need some circuit between these two (IRADK and TI DSP) So my question is? Is it okay to use optocouplers and nothing more than optocouplers? Or one can do something better. Any ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• iradk.png
    iradk.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 109
  • texasI.png
    texasI.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 114

That subject has come up frequently on this forum. Here is a link to a thread that itself contains links to other threads on the subject of level translation: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/204270/

I did not check each and every link to see whether optocouplers were used in any of the designs, but the ones I checked did not. That implies to me that optocouplers are not the best choice.

John

Reactions: vojke

vojke

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That subject has come up frequently on this forum. Here is a link to a thread that itself contains links to other threads on the subject of level translation: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/204270/

I did not check each and every link to see whether optocouplers were used in any of the designs, but the ones I checked did not. That implies to me that optocouplers are not the best choice.

John

Thank You very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.