Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Type C - only for powering my board

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use a USB type C cable only to power my board.

1698825764590.png

I read that by default, the USB Type C cable can give an output of 5V & 3A.

So, I am planning to have a USB type-C input connector in my board which will give the power to all my ICs from the cable.

I only want to use it for power.

My question is, in case of only using the USB TypeC for power, what should I do with the remaining pins of the USB type-c on my board?

Should I terminate certain pins or should I leave them floating? Please help.

I want to use a USB type C cable only to power my board.

View attachment 185908
I read that by default, the USB Type C cable can give an output of 5V & 3A.

So, I am planning to have a USB type-C input connector in my board which will give the power to all my ICs from the cable.

I only want to use it for power.

My question is, in case of only using the USB TypeC for power, what should I do with the remaining pins of the USB type-c on my board?

Should I terminate certain pins or should I leave them floating? Please help.
Hi!
How many empires that can pass through the cable depends on the cross-section of the cable and, of course, on your power module. As for the rest of the contacts, it also depends on the load, if it is a "smart load" with a "handshake", then for powerful charging(Power Delivery) you should connect this (put a jumper and etc.). If you just going to use it as wire you may stay it free, but remember if you connect this wire to the USB 2.0 or 3.0 you get 500mA or 900mA only.

Attachments

• USB_standart_cut.PNG
    USB_standart_cut.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 54
@FEZAR Your post isn't reflecting USB-C specifications.

To advertize device USB-C, CC pins have to be terminated with 5.1 kOhm pull-down resistors. See USB Type-C spec paragraph 4.5, part of USB 3.1.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: