Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Joystick interface with PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

siong

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im trying to use a 3 axis joystick to control the flight simulation.

I have some problem to interface the USB joystick to my PIC16F877A chip.

Any ways to read the output of the USB?? And any reference on how to interface it to PIC??

Please reply here for any hint or idea :)

Hi siong,

You cannot connect a USB device to PIC16F877 bcoz it doesn't have USB peripheral. Also you need a PIC which can work as a USB host. See this appnote from Microchip:

**broken link removed**

You should use pic18f2550 or pic18f4550 which has USB peripheral.
See this topic:

thank for the help Matbob and Elmuhamady, i meet another problem with software that need to used.

Please kindly read here:)))

hi friend

if u asking for programming editor for pic microcontroller

u can use Mikroelektronika MicroC,

it is very good editor and it has very rich library for USB interfacing

well you cannot use pic 18f2550 or 18f4550 as they do not support USB hosting.
look for 24f series

a good dev kit which supports USB host using the PIC24FJ64GB002 is Microchip's microstick II
**broken link removed**

do you know the format of the USB data transmitted by the joystick?

you will probably be better off using some old joystick which connects to serial port. Usb host is quite complex to program

I'm not actually understand what exactly do you planing to do. Use old 3-axis joystick with you your own controller to connect them to PC? Or use USB HOST to connect your device with old USB joystick?
If first, look for the pic18 family. The most useful is pic18f13k50 and pic18f14k50. They all support usb hid.
You only need to prepare the correct report descriptor that your PC will recognize your device like joystick and send the correct data to usb. All this things are simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.