Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB interface with PIC18F4550 for storing the ADC values help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja.p

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all...
I am trying to do storing the ADC in USB (pendrive or pc) interface with PIC18F4550..
for this i read datasheet ...i completed the ADC reading with the help of corresponding registers and programming steps given in datasheet ...
for next step i read the USB corresponding registers in datasheet but they are not given the step by step PROGRAMMING for USB..
I searched in google and micro chip site ... but i can't find suitable examples...
i want to drive or write the USB interface program as per the datasheet registers give in datasheet with out using the compiler library functions.

please help for doing this one..

Hi,

There are USB_Hosts, one in a system, providing power, controlling the bus, controlling the timing. (Like a PC)
And there are USB_devices. Slaves somehow, there may be many in one system. (Mouse, hubs, keyboard, printers, USB_sticks, canera, audio device..)

A quick internet search showed that your PIC can only act as USB_device, but to communicate with an USB_memory_stick you need your PIC to act as a USB_host.

I have no experience with PIC, but on first sight it seems that your idea is not possible to do with this PIC.

Klaus

You wrote "store in a pendrive or pc". Interfacing PIC18 USB with a PC is possible, but it's actually reading from the PIC USB device controlled by a piece of software running on the PC.

i want to drive or write the USB interface program as per the datasheet registers give in datasheet with out using the compiler library functions.
Surely possible, but why would you go without the valuable support of existing libraries which can safe you weeks of software development?

This is one of the few times (the other is the Ethernet/WiFI stack) that i always recommend using the library that Microchip provide. Trying to write your own USB stack is simply a waste of time (unless you REALLY want ot know every little detail and have no other life).
These days MCC seems to be the way to go (although I suggest you check for - the PIC18F4550 is quite an old device and MCC does not support all of the older MCUs) and you can also get the MLA (Microchip Library for Applications) which has the USB stack code in it.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.