Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universal circuit for AC and DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kishore kumar.K.P

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
Good morning..!
Here I need a help to design Universal circuit for both AC and DC power supply.
Is it possible to do for 11-270VAC/VDC.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore KUmar

everything, i suppose)

That is my thinking also....universal power supply able to be powered from 50 or 60 Hz or even DC. If it is a low power supply, many of the devices from Power Integrations or ST would work.

However, what I find strange is the low voltage range (11v). Is it a typo error and should really be 110V? Or does the poster wants to also power it from an automotive battery (and thus the DC requirement).

Hi,

here my task is to do universal solid state relay.
that relay should work for both AC/DC Vltage supply of range from 11-270V.
Here i am using universal circuit as input to trigger the SCR Device through Opto-coupler.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore KUmar

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

My task is not covert Ac to Dc.
I need to build input circuit for triggering the SCR device through optocoupler.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore Kumar

Your request is still VERY ambiguous.

The supply voltage range is for:
a) The input trigger,
b) or the actual load the SCR will handle?

If the voltage range is for a), then the other question would be:
a) Can the range or the AC/DC requirement be selectable -most likely scenario- by a jumper, or switch, or a different connector?
b) Or the selection has to be automatic?

Hi,
Good morning..!
1)Universal circuit is for input trigger.

2)No, only by two terminal we have to achieve the Task.
There is no extra Switch/Terminal.

Thank you..

Regards
Kishore Kumar

Use a bridge rectifier with a capacitor filter and series resistor to feed the opto coupler input. That will allow the opto to work with either an AC or DC input.

The series resistor value must be selected so that the opto will operate with the minimum input voltage but not exceed the opto input current rating at the maximum input voltage. If one resistor can't be selected that will cover the range then you may need to add another resistor and a zener to clamp the voltage to below a safe level.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I had gone through this , but there is a voltage difference to trigger the circuit in AC and DC mode.
Is it possible to achieve the voltage range of 11-270VAC/VDC.
Awaiting for your reply.

Thank you..

Regards
Kishore Kumar

Can you please clarify the expect timing behaviour? Supposed an AC voltage of either 11 V or 270 V is applied to the input terminals, what's the specification for the output current driving the opto coupler? Delay, current waveform? The same for a DC input voltage?

Hi,
Good evening..!
I am using MOC3083 Zero crossing coupler. It's triggering voltage is 1.2VDC-1.6VAC and current rating is 5 - 20mA.
O/P voltage is not an issue it can be 240/660VAC.
Here my aim is to achieve the Input.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore Kumar

- - - Updated - - -

First we have step down the voltage from 11-270Vac/Vdc to 1.2 - 1.6 VDC and current range is 5mA to 20mA.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore Kumar

Usage of a zero-crossing detector opto triac means that the trigger current must be continuous DC, not to miss a zero crossing.

The most simple solution would be comprised of a bridge rectifier, a filter capcitor and and an high voltage capable 5 mA current source. Disadvantage is up to about 2W power dissipation with highest input voltage.

Alternatively a high voltage, low power buck converter must be designed.

As FvM mentions, that would be the simplest alternative.

If you want to reduce power dissipation you could use a split approach: to first reduce the voltage linearly to an intermediate value, and a buck for the second step.

Linear technologies offers a buck regulator that operates from 5 to 150 volt input.

https://www.linear.com/product/LTC3639

HI,
Good morning..!
is it possible to give 5-150VDC/VAC to buck converter to get output as 5vdc & 100mA.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore Kumar

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
Is there any buck of value 5-250V?
Can you please help me to get the solution for this.
Thank you..

Regards
Kishore KUmar

Status
Not open for further replies.