Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unable to find USBasp in any of my PC COM ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

paone

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to control external hardware(stepper motor) with labview. For the same I used ATmega32 MCU with proper serial communication code dumped into it.But i could not find USBasp in COM port using VISA RESOURCE NAME in labVIEW for serial communication.Instead i find USBasp seperately in Device manger but not as a COM port. For detecting that, should i install any other drivers or should i use any other hardware.

USBasp is not VCP port.
It is not programmed as CDC device. You need new drivers on computer AND new software on MCU.

Buy cheap USB<->UART converter on ebay for 1-2$.

Now i've understood that USBasp is just used as a boot loader for programming AVR microcontrollers and cannot be used for serial communication purpose.But, Iam in a bit hurry to finish my FYproject. I dont have the USB-UART converter. So is there any other solution possible for serial communication with labview.....

urg,

sadly no.

of course, unless your PC has COM ports (those with a DB-9)
in that case, you need a common level converter (from TTL to RS232) the most common IC for that task is the MAX232

you program the microcontroller with the USBASP, and it communicates via the serial port to the PC

the USBASP is said to have the TxD and RXD for debugging, but that function was never officially implemented...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back