Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultra low-power Vin regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratofour

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear members,

I would like to power a Microchip PIC from a 4.2V li-ion cell. I have a few constraints on my PIC selection which direct me in the group of PIC's with a maximum supply voltage of 3.6V. (The availability of a internal clock for USB comm. is one of them, no ext. osc. is needed)

Of course the voltage exeeds the PIC's maximum ratings (Vdd.abs.max:4.0V) when the li-ion cell is fully charged.

The controller is most of the time sleeping with a 32KHz RTC osc. which consumes a rough 10uA. About 6 times a day the current consumption will rise to roughly 10mA for 4 seconds. As you can see the controller is mostly sleeping.

I would like to keep the current consumption to a absolute minimum.

The LDO's I have found expect a Iq of 50uA, which is almost 5 times the standby current the PIC consumes. A DC/DC converter isn't very efficient at these current consumptions.

Does someone know a descent Vin regulation which keeps the powerloss to a absolute minimum in comparison to the controllers consumption? I would also like to use the complete Voltage range of the li-ion (4.2v->3v)Thanks!

If you want to use the complete voltage range of the Li-ion battery, you need to use a buck-boost converter. You have no other choice.

Another option is to place a supercapacitor across the battery, to supply your temporary high current needs. I calculated that if you draw 10mA for 4s and accept a voltage droop of 0.1V, you need a 0.4F capacitor.

Unfortunately you have created conflicting requirements. You have picked a micro with the lowest power consumption but in order to use it you need to consume extra power to convert the voltage. Using a PIC which can work at 5V with slightly higher power consumption may be a better solution than trying to use the lower power PIC and wasting the power somewhere else (in a regulator).

I guess you might be able to construct some sort of crude voltage limiter with a couple of MOSFETs but you would still waste power because it will need some resistors which themselves will consume power.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back