Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to find a replacement sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the sensor already ip67 certified would I need a protecting tube infront of the sensor, wouldn't its purpose to protect against water entering the internals of the sensor? I'm not familiar with it though so if I'm wrong you may explain some more.

I don't know how I would implement using air to blow off those sensors, u suggested a short burst and given that speed is a factor then it would have to be automatic, what if after it blows a short burst of air then that's the time it receives a big droplet.... That would leave me with 2 options to operate the air manually which to me would be the same or even worst than what we are doing now, next option would be for each cycle the air would constantly blow when bottles are being filled, but at the current state we are in now we hardly have the volume of air needed so that wouldn't be an option, I'm traveling now so I can't get to really understand the rotating window I would have to see more videos for things like set up procedures after that then I would need to check if I have or could make space for something like that

Hi,

We don't know how your applicatio looks like, therefore we can only assume.
It's on you to provide good information, pictures, drawings....
You said the water on the lens is the problem.....so IP67 (water inside the case) has nothing to do with the actual problem.
Otherwise you should give us related informations.
Protecting tube:
I assume the water drops are moving in random direction.
And i assume the water can hit the lens from +/-90° horizontal direction and +/-90° vertical direction.
With a protecting tube you can narrow this angle, maybe to +/-3° or so, wich decreases the chance that water hits the lens to less than 1% than before..
Isn't this an improvement?

Air burst:
Is there a solution that can avoid water between sensor lens and reflector?
I don't think so. So we have to live with that, but we can reduce the chance of an error. Not to zero.

I don't know how often actually there is the chance of an error...but I assume a short burst (100ms) every some seconds can reduce the chance of an error, or at least automatically removes the error without dusturbing the optics between sensor and reflector(in opposite to wiping clean the lense)

Klaus

As I said it's not something I'm familiar with (PMMA) that's why I asked for an explanation, as I said politics is in the mix also, the place operates around the clock everyday I cannot stop production to try something new that won't get rid of the problem we are thinking logically so I know what kind of answers you could give based on what I just said but we can bypass that and think about how management can be when it comes on to earning cash, hence why I thought the fastest and best method was to try another sensor type. I made mention in a previous post that there is a protective lens over the actual lens already that can be unscrewed I would that you were refering to something like that if not exactly that, sorry for not providing specifics I would have to go back and take a look at it to see if that section has a name and model if it's the same as what you are talking about then I wpiod need another method, to use air sounds like it would work but not sure how I would set that up now and if I would get the time to.

What Im thinking about is that I have to check the sensor specs again of the ss6-on-4e to see how far it can be placed from the reflector since that was another option one of the main issue is that the machine is still under warranty and certain modifications cant be made because if I'm to move sensors I wouod probably have to build brackets and bore and mount them else where if possible.

The sensor SS6-0N-4E is good, but the application needs improvement by recessing the sensor with a smaller aperture.

Is it possible to sense with a smaller aperture by recessing the sensor with appropriate, tube with drain holes on bottom such that splashes do not reach the sensor.

If surface tension of water is too great , use a larger aperture but with adequate recess.

The diffused lens really limits the range as the threshold is fixed and the splash diffusion of light attenuates even worse.

If reducing the aperture and recessing reduces sensitivity, you need a higher range sensor or need to move sensor closer with a bottom vented tube to drain splashes.

TRansmissive sensors are more reliable with 5mm apertures at both ends.

Last edited:

sensors have about 3 to 4 inches of clear space from bottles.

You state that water droplets interfere with light transmission. Suppose you point an external lamp at the bottles, so that the sensor receives a brighter light when a bottle goes past? Experiment to find the proper location for the beam. It might be a narrow beam led, or a low power laser.

Datasheet indicates it is 18mm diffuse photoelectric sensors
range 400mm (15.7 in.) with 240 mm light spot @ 400 mm
This probably assume max reflection ratio and is a fixed threshold.
Thus lower reflection ratio reduces range.

This is why I suggested a recessed smaller aperture with a closer range.
i.e. move closer and put a tube over it with drain holes..

- - - Updated - - -

Must move closer with a smaller aperture beam angle.
sense.jpg

Or use 1" PVC pipe with 3 'O' rings on sensor for water seal tight fit or use silicone sealant

Basically you MUST PREVENT water on the LENS and anything in the light beam path so you dont get false reflections.
Even a hood over the sensor extended as close as possible. But then reducing the target must be compensated with a closer range to have the correct detection of reflected target.
by trial and error since there is no threshold adjustment.

Last edited:

Why don't you try some anti-fogging spray on the sensor window?

They act by reducing surface tension and the water does not bubble up, they spread out in a thin film that does not interfere with the whole process. Similar stuff is available as spray for bathroom mirrors to your spectacles.

Big drops will simply drain away - I hope you cannot get it simpler than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.