Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traveling to the US - looking for interesting projects and people to hang with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizerd

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all!
I am planning on going to USA for three months (July - Sep). As I am a real electronic geek, I know that being without electronics for that long will drive me nuts!
I am looking for something to do while am there. I am not looking for a job or anything commercial (I have a job at home and I am entering on a tourist visa).

During my visit in the US I have three objects:

• Vacation, to experience the US. I have been studying for the last +5 years and am currently working on my thesis in electro engineering.
  • To better my english, I am neither good or bad, but the best way to get better is through practicing. This trip to USA will hopefully elevate my language skills.
  • Meet people that share my interest in electronics and other people too :)

So I thought that it would be awesome if I could combine meeting cool people, better my english and fiddle with electronics. My best idea, so far, is if I could find someone that is working on a project that I could help out with; that would be really fun!

So my question is if there is anyone here that would be interested or knows anyone that could be interested in getting some help?

A project at for example a makerspace would be ideal, the maker movement is awesome. I am a member of the Stockholm makerspace and there are always people who are creating interesting stuff. I am, more or less, open to anything.

I have not done any firm planned yet, except to be in New York around the 20-21 September (NY Maker fair). Other than that, the plan is to travel around US. I plan to visit the larger cities and attractions, being a good tourist :) My planning will more or less depend on what seems interesting and what this post yields.

So who am I? I work as a senior electronic engineer, and have been interested in electronics for as long as I can remember. I have experience in analog/digital electronics, ECAD, MCAD, CNC, CAM, C, C#. I have been designing projects for companies and private use for the last 14 years and recently formalized my knowledge with studies at KTH The Royal Institute of Technology. You can check out my homepage, which features projects I have done lately, at www.lizerd.se.

All ideas and proposals are of interest :)

Just to be clear: I am not looking for a job, or a commercial project. I want to meet interesting people who share my interest, have fun, and get to soak up the US culture.

Any good ideas for things to see and sites to visit in the US for a geek like me?

All geeks entering the US are required to go the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. There, you will meet many other geeks, along with their somewhat bored wives.

You might also want to visit some universities, although there won't be as much going on during the summer months. Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge (across the river from Boston) would be a good place for a geek. And Boston is a good place for anybody.

barry, Hi and thanks for the tip, yes Air and Space Museum is on the "want to do list".
And so far the list is kind of short, Air and Space Museum, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, highway 1, New York. yeah haven't had so much time for planning yet.

So tips and ideas are really helpful, even if it's none technical/geeky :-D

Sounds like you've got some good places lined up. Grand Canyon is so spectacular it will make you cry. So is highway 1. If you are doing hwy 1, then I hope you also go to San Francisco-expensive, crowded, wonderful city. You may drive through "Silicon Valley" (south of San Francisco) which is a high-tech center. I'm not sure what there is for "techno-tourism", but a lot of large (and small) tech companies are head-quartered there (Google, Intel, Apple, for example). North of San Francisco is wine country, if you're into that sort of thing. (Why is there no "beer country"? :)) Let me know if you've got any more questions.

I can add that it has never been important if the people I hang out with are just as talented as I am. It's more about electronics interest.
It has always been like if the people I meet have been really interested in electronics, then I have been as interested in helping and educating about electronics if the person wanted to learn.
I have been teaching electronics for many years, both in class and in private.

So the project do not need to be advanced to spike my interest.

Thanks barry good to know :)

I had a hard time finding my link in the first post when I searched for it, so I guess that I am not the only one :)
So If you like to see what I have done you can check my homepage,

www.lizerd.se

as for example I have made two Segway clones, currently creating my own Pick and Place machine, and a lot of other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back