Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor OP - how to? What is the criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMALEAO

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all. Noob here. How do you check a transistor for the operation point and what are the best values to look for? Someone told me things like your vds>vdsat and all that but didn't understand why.
What are the criteria to check the different points of operation of a transistor using its characteristics: vis, nth, vis, vdsat, vov? What rule of thumb for each value? Which ones we have check against the other parameters?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi,

You, or better say: your application has requirements.
You need to specify them.

Is it a low frequency switching application (saturated), where low R_ds_on is required?
Or is it a high frequency application (non saturated), where low capacitance is required?

Klaus

HM, good point actually. It is low frequency.

Hi,

Low frequency audio, or low frequency switching?
No complete informations, no circuit?

Klaus

Thanks for your comment. Appreciate it.

Basically it applies to any circuit I think. Current mirrors, amplifiers, iDACs, namdgap circuits, etc.

How do we access the transistor operating point? What is, as a rule of thum - of course will depend on the type of circuit, but as a rule of thumb how do we assess the transistor OP in terms of which value against the other (vis, vis, vgs-vth, vov, vdsat) is ok, all right, good.

Do you know what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back