Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

timing constraints for 2:1 or 1:1 clock ratio during synthesis and STA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomlife330

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, everyone~

In my digital design, there are two modes for configuring operation clock frequency.

[mode 1] CPU:300MHz, Bus:150MHz (2:1 mode)
[mode 2] CPU:180MHz, Bus:180MHz (1:1 mode)

As you see, the worst case of CPU is 300MHz, and the worst case of Bus is 180MHz.

But, I can not give clock period of 300MHz/180MHz to my Design Compiler and Prime Time
because only 2:1 or 1:1 clock ratio is available in my design.

In this case, how should I give timing constraints to my synthesis(Design Compiler) and STA(Prime Time)?

Last edited:

It's better for you to prepare two timing constraints ( common part and specific part ) for each scenarios.
After that, MCMM ( Multi-corner multi-mode ) is one of the way for your purpose.
But for PrimeTime, you can analyze each timing respectively. One for 2:1 mode and the other for 1:1 mode.

Hello, everyone~

In my digital design, there are two modes for configuring operation clock frequency.

[mode 1] CPU:300MHz, Bus:150MHz (2:1 mode)
[mode 2] CPU:180MHz, Bus:180MHz (1:1 mode)

As you see, the worst case of CPU is 300MHz, and the worst case of Bus is 180MHz.

But, I can not give clock period of 300MHz/180MHz to my Design Compiler and Prime Time
because only 2:1 or 1:1 clock ratio is available in my design.

In this case, how should I give timing constraints to my synthesis(Design Compiler) and STA(Prime Time)?

Hi,

In one mode itself you can do it by creating all the four clocks CPU (300MHz, 180MHz) and BUS (150MHz, 180MHz).

You can create two clocks on single port using "-add" option. So, create CPU 300MHz and CPU 180MHz clock on same clock port with "-add" option to "create_clock" command . Similarly you can do for the BUS clock also.

Provide a logical exclusive clock relationship between CPU 180MHz and CPU 300MHz clock. So, that tool will not try to do timing between these two clocks as these two clocks will not be present in a single mode. Similarly for the BUS clocks as well.

You need to provide addition logically exclusive constraints between
1) CPU 180MHz clock and BUS 150MHz clock
2) CPU 300MHz clock and BUS 180MHz clock

Hope this can help you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back