Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer MC14541B wrong delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXRX

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I buit the attached timer and receive a delay of 604mSec instead of 640mSec, How can you explain ?
n=13
2^(n-1)=4096
VCC=+16VDC
The mesurement of the Delay is between VCC start up to change state at the OUTPUT.
Thanks,

Attachments

• Timer.jpg
    Timer.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 116

Datasheet has no specs on accuracy for RC based delays. Or delay from power up. Then
there is the tolerance of the RC components used that affects timing.

If you need specific pulse width, latency, accuracy this is not the way to achieve this.

What specs, functionality are you trying to achieve ?

Regards, Dana.

The tolerance of the resistor and capacitor are 1%, but the time difference is very large.
I do not need a accurate timer, i want to understand why there is large deviation.

These CMOS gate based RC oscillators are notorious for lousy timing
accuracy, thats why there is no spec, for a .000000000000000001%
accurate R & C. There even is no jitter spec at all due to noise.

There is huge variation chip to chip in MOSFET gate Vth.

1657020529981.png

Regards, Dana.

Hi Dana,
Do i receive shorter time because the Vth is low ?
Regards,

There is no data on reproducible timing behaviour.
I built 4 identical circuits and measure and receive: 604.23 , 603.39 , 608.99 , 607.3mSec.
The average value is far from calculate delay: 640mSec.

There is no data on reproducible timing behaviour.
I built 4 identical circuits and measure and receive: 604.23 , 603.39 , 608.99 , 607.3mSec.
The average value is far from calculate delay: 640mSec.
I'm not asking about low percent deviation. The question is, if the monoflop is correctly initialized when the pulse starts immediately with Vcc startup? Does the datasheet specify?

Hi,

Without reading datasheet, besides unavoidable randomness of IC parts and passives (measure R and C where possible for certainty and check cap datasheet for actual capacitance, at xVoltage, xFrequency, xTemperature) might be that timing capacitor needs to be charged or discharged to some degree or other for pulse to be correct length; like 555 astable after reset or first pulse is longer as capacitor is discharged so has to go from 0V to 2/3rds Vcc when normal operation is only from 1/3rd to 2/3rds. If so, might be able to add start-up helper circuit for predictable consistent timing with just passives, if such thing needed at all.

The oscillator will vary with Vcc too - best performance at 15V
--- Updated ---

unless you have very high quality NPO cap - it will almost certainly be a little lower in value than that supposedly supplied - hence higher freq hence shorter time.

At no time have you stated you actual design goals, probably a good time
to do that before Forum tries to help further.

1) Delay accuracy desired, and speced from what event to the next.
2) Allowable T and V specs.
3) If you care about jitter spec for that.

To name a few.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back