Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tilt switch and simple circuitry - no idea where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayc73

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Jay is my name and Western Australia is where I am.
I have some basic understanding of electronics , enough to keep me out of trouble anyway.

I've decided to try and make a simple device but very unsure of how to go about it.

In a nut shell, I wish to use a dual axis tilt switch to perform a couple of functions.
Hopefully this drawing will help.
Both input and output sides are divided in two ( operating 2 different components)

thing_zps33235509.jpg

Basically, I'm looking for a dual axis tilt switch that will activate at 45 degrees on either axis .

When the tilt switch is not activated, the input side is passed directly to the out put side - no change .

When the tilt switch is activated , one half of the output side drops voltage to 3.5v ( 3v to 3.7v would be the minimum and maximum drop) and the other half over rides the signal and reverses it.

I did forget to mention, input voltage will be between 5 and 8V DC

I found this schematic which I can follow without too many problems for reversing the signal but I'm tot too sure on how to integrate this with a tilt switch.
schemati.gif

Parts
(1) CD4001 CMOS IC (Quad NOR)
(2) 1K Resistor
(1) 10K Resistor
(1) 56K Resistor
(1) 100K Variable Resistor (Potentiometer)
(2) .1uF Capacitor
(1) 22uF Capacitor

When it comes to the voltage drop, can I use resistors to do this ? and again, how would I integrate this ?

Hopefully I've made it easy to understand and any help would be fantastic.

I think you need to restate your question. I, for one, can't figure out what you mean. (And the fact that 52 other people have looked at your post and not responded might indicate that THEY can't understand, either.).

What do you mean "the input side is passed to the output side"?
What do you mean "over rides the signal and reverses it"?

Maybe a truth table would help us understand.

Ok, ill try again .
I'm not sure how to set out a truth table so I'll try and explain again.
Application is for radio control vehicle use which is gasoline powered.
The whole system runs on 6v to 8v dc

What I would like to do is make a small add on device to shut the vehicle down in a roll over or or roll over backwards (back flip) scenario.

In a roll scenario I would like a switch to kick in when the vehicle reaches 45 degrees from horizontal and shut every thing down - this is to help reduce damage to any moving parts, engine , gears and so on.

To perform this I need to over ride and reverse a throttle servo as well as over riding and activating an ignition kill switch at the same time.

The ignition kill switch is an off the shelf product that can be easily activated by dropping voltage to aprox 3.5v.
In normal operation the kill switch activates when the receiver battery becomes too low or it can be manually activated via the remote control.

I was thinking of using 3 mercury tilt switches as "activators" .
Two switches opposite each other to to pick up a left or right roll and the 3rd switch on a second axis to pick up rolling over backwards .
I chose mercury switches over ball type tilt switches because I think ball switches will activate with bumps and vibration.

To keep all of the components safe and secure , I would encase the whole lot in a cube of resin.

Hopefully this helps explain a little better.

Jay

3rd attempt

After a few days study I came up with this

sch_zpsd45f1897.jpg

Full size image https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/kamipalms/Elect/sch_zpsd45f1897.jpg~original

Shown in normal operation , "1A&1B" would bypass "M - signal reversing module" and "b - voltage regulator "

When the tilt switch "a" would activate , "c - relay" and "d relay" would bypass normal operation and engage
"b- voltage regulator " and "M - signal reversing module"

Hopefully this is accurate enough and makes it a little easier to understand.
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.