Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The minimum required clock frequency for the 1 gbps data rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

among

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
any one tell me the minimum required clock frequency for the 1 gbps data rate
thank you

clock and data rate

what is your bus width ? Divide 1gpbs with your bus width, that would give you the minimum clock frequency you need.

Re: clock and data rate

That's the word rate or maximum (for unequivocal frame synchronisation) rather than the minimum clock frequency. An integer part of the word rate can be used as clock frequency as well.

FvM said:
That's the word rate or maximum (for unequivocal frame synchronisation) rather than the minimum clock frequency. An integer part of the word rate can be used as clock frequency as well.

Can you give some more background on "unequivocal frame synchronisation" ?
I think any integer part of word rate needs to be rouned-off to next higher integer ( ceiling), hence would be higher than what I said.

As an example with a 125 MHz word rate, 1000 MHz bit rate serial transmission: An unequivocal frame clock could be 125 Mhz, but also 62.5 or e. g. 25 MHz. If you use serializer/deserializer IP from an FPGA compiler tool as Altera Quartus Megafunction, it will allow you a respective selection.

clock and data rate

I am still missing your point.
If we move from 125 Mhz to 25 Mhz, then we definitely need to increase bus width from 8 bits to 40Bits to match the bandwidth.

At any point whether its before serializer/deserializer or after it, the bus width should be such that it gives bandwidth greater than 1Gbps at given frequency of clock at that point.

So if FPGA compiler tool gives option of 25 Mhz, guessing that this 25Mhz clock is for write side of serializer, it would increase the size/width of frame accordingly ( I am assuming you are referrring the input to serializer as a frame)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back